And we begin again

Ray Mitchell

Dec 30, 2016, 7:42:40 AM12/30/16
to Ray's Daily

What the New Year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the New Year.

By Vern McLellan

I had breakfast yesterday with a University Professor friend. She has been an active contributor to the global health scene for the many years I have known her. As we talked about what 2017 had in store for us I learned that she will be leaving in a few weeks to teach a graduate level medical course at a Liberian University. She will be on a four month sabbatical doing this for the Peace Corp. She, like my friend who has recently retired and accepted a Peace Corp position in the Ukraine has chosen to do something special for others. They inspire.

As I look towards the next year I have accepted the fact that I am not as capable as I once was to take on new activities but I can still act in a manner consistent with the values of these two wonderful role models. So my friends I may not be able to do all I would like to do but I promise that I will do the best I can. In that spirit I offer you the following.

Recipe for a Happy New Year

Anonymous

    Take twelve fine, full-grown months; see that these are thoroughly free from old memories of bitterness, rancor and hate, cleanse them completely from every clinging spite; pick off all specks of pettiness and littleness; in short, see that these months are freed from all the past—have them fresh and clean as when they first came from the great storehouse of Time. Cut these months into thirty or thirty-one equal parts. Do not attempt to make up the whole batch at one time (so many persons spoil the entire lot this way) but prepare one day at a time.

    Into each day put equal parts of faith, patience, courage, work (some people omit this ingredient and so spoil the flavor of the rest), hope, fidelity, liberality, kindness, rest (leaving this out is like leaving the oil out of the salad dressing— don’t do it), prayer, meditation, and one well-selected resolution. Put in about one teaspoonful of good spirits, a dash of fun, a pinch of folly, a sprinkling of play, and a heaping cupful of good hum.

~~~

“Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.”

Helen Keller

~~~

A first-grade teacher was overseeing her students as they experimented with their desk computers. One boy sat staring at the screen, unsure how to get the computer going.

The teacher walked over and read what was on his screen. In her most reassuring voice, she said, "The computer wants to know what your name is," then she walked over to the next child.

The boy leaned toward the screen and whispered, "My name is David."

~~~

"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."

The Little Prince

~~~

She told me:

Okay, Okay, it all makes sense now...I never looked at it this way before:

MENtal illness

MENstrual cramps

MENtal breakdown

MENopause

GUYnecologist ...... AND ......

When we have REAL trouble, it's a HISterectomy.

Ever notice how all of women's problems start with men?

~~~

"Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?"

Kelvin Throop III

~~~

A couple was celebrating their golden wedding anniversary. Their domestic tranquility had long been the talk of the town, "What a peaceful and loving couple." A local newspaper reporter was inquiring as to the secret of their long and happy marriage. "Well, it dates back to our honeymoon," explained the man. "We visited the Grand Canyon and took a trip down to the bottom of the canyon on a mule pack. We hadn't gone too far when my wife's mule stumbled. My wife quietly said, 'That's once!' We proceeded a little further and the mule stumbled again. Once more my wife quietly said, 'That's twice.' We hadn't gone a half-mile when the mule stumbled the third time. My wife quietly removed a revolver from her purse and shot the mule dead.

I started an angry protest over her treatment of the mule, when she looked at me, and quietly said, 'That's once.' And we lived happily ever after."

~~~

Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day.

Michael Josephson

~~~

Stay well, do good work, and have fun.

Ray Mitchell

Indianapolis, Indiana

Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.

Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at rayk...@gmail.com. Back issues are posted at http://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.

4

image002.jpg