Ray's Back!

rayk...@sbcglobal.net

Aug 12, 2019, 12:49:07 AM8/12/19
to nor...@wordpress.com

Ray’s Daily

August 12. 2019

One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.

Seneca

Back at last. Thankfully my grandson was able to replace my hard drive after recovering my old files. It was strange to be without my computer and our daily contacts for so many weeks.

I really appreciated all of you that contacted me with e=mail, phone calls and text messages worried that I was OK. While I was watched old movies and read some, I missed the daily effort to put something together that pleases you. Old movies are no substitute for daily reflection on life.

After almost twenty years of Ray’s Daily we start anew. Thanks for being here, I have missed you all. I am still trying to recover the distribution list for those who det direct e-mail of the daily.

~~~

A Friend

By Stephen Wayne Modawell

Where do they come from

Ones who just appear in life

Some finer than rum

Others closer than man an'wife

They may not be old

without them, what was before

Their warmth, on days' cold

Their presence we seek but more

 How we want many

Yet we find so very few

treasured like a new penny

Their value great, one will do

When found, never let go

Too many years may pass, you see

Before God allows to flow

The gift of a friend like thee.

~~~

Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer.

Ed Cunningham

~~~

A little girl in first grade was doing very well especially in spelling.  One day she came home with new words to study for an upcoming test and she asked her mother to help.  They came to the word "knit" and her mother asked her to spell it.

She said, "n-i-t".

Her mother said, "No, try again."

She said, very slowly, "n-i-t".

Her mother said, "Now, honey, I know you know how to spell this word, try again."

Very aggravated and very slowly, as if her mother was just not getting the whole picture, she spelled, "N-I-T!"

Finally, her mother told her that the correct spelling was k-n-i-t. The little girl looked at her mother, put her hands on her hips and said, "THE 'K' IS SILENT!"

~~~

There must be more to life than having everything.

Maurice Sendak

~~~

A guest lecturer to the Medical college stopped by the bulletin board. Listed for the day was the topic, "Surprises in Obstetrics".

Scrawled under it in pencil were the words, "Mary had a little lamb".

~~~

"You can't build a reputation on what you intend to do."

Liz Smith

~~~

One Sunday a pastor told the congregation that the church needed some extra money and asked the people to prayerfully consider giving a little extra in the offering plate. He said that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.

After the offering plates were passed, the pastor glanced down and noticed that someone had placed a $1,000 bill in offering. He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation and said he'd like to personally thank the person who placed the money in the plate.

A very quiet, elderly and saintly lady all the way in the back shyly raised her hand. The pastor asked her to come to the front. Slowly she made her way to the pastor. He told her how wonderful it was that she gave so much and in thanksgiving asked her to pick out three hymns.

Her eyes brightened as she looked over the congregation, pointed to the three handsomest men in the building and said, "I'll take him and him and him."

~~~

BEEN THERE!  --  DONE THAT!

And I'd do it all over again if I could remember the way. But now that I'm older I'd probably forget what I was going back for and most likely wouldn't be able to do it again anyway.

~~~

Volvo has unveiled an auto designed by women for women called the YCC, 'Your Concept Car.' Among its cutting-edge femi-features:

* Turn signals that are able to change their mind at the last minute.

* An OnStar satellite tracking system that can locate, on command, all retail outlets within 500 miles.

* Permanent press fenders.

* A dashboard voice console that's programmed to ask strangers for directions.

* Side mirrors that make the driver appear slimmer than she actually is.

~~~

When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.

Mark Twain

~~~

At the airport check-in counter, I overheard a woman ask for window seats for her and her husband. The clerk pointed out that this would prevent them from sitting together.

"Sweetie," the woman replied, "I just spent ten days of quality time in a compact rental car with this man. I know what I'm requesting."

~~~

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, not the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

~~~

Ray Mitchell

Indianapolis, Indiana

Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.

Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at rayk...@gmail.com. Back issues are posted at http://rays-daily,com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.

image002.jpg