Why Forward? — Forward Party

1 view

Centroids

Oct 8, 2021, 2:11:03 AM10/8/21
to Centroids Discussions
Andrew Yang may be onto something…
Including starting with Ranked Choice Voting!

Our democracy is broken. We can fix it.

Our Goals.

While other political parties look to divide America into different camps, the Forward Party aims to bring them together. We welcome both conservatives and liberals, independents and libertarians - anyone who is interested in solving the problems that are currently plaguing our country and is willing to debate ideas in good faith.

We will support candidates for office who align with our core principles so that we can reform the system and make it more responsive to the American people. This means that we will support Republicans, Democrats, and Independents - as well as candidates identifying themselves as Forward Party members.

We will also work with organizations that are promoting democracy reform in order to promote policies such as Ranked-Choice Voting, Open Primaries, and easier ballot access for third parties.

Rank Choice Voting & Open Primaries.

Democracy works best when we increase voter representation through inclusive electoral policies and practices. Party primaries disenfranchise the majority of voters. In 80 percent of cases the general election is essentially a foreordained conclusion. Non-major-party candidates are regarded as a “waste” of a vote and can never compete. Candidates spend millions trashing their lone opponent, making us all more cynical. Ranked-choice voting better captures voters’ true preferences and enables a more dynamic and truly representative democracy while addressing all of these problems. It is the key to unlocking real reform.

Fact-Based Governance.

Utilizing data in order to establish standard and shared baselines of where we are and how we are doing will ensure that our elected representatives are doing their jobs. Politicians today compete in messaging and news cycles. They should compete on results. The only way to know how you are doing is if you agree on facts and if all parties can agree on one version of reality. We should be very concerned about political leaders who don’t accept that measurement of social and economic health have weight and that science is real. Spin must have limits. Parties can differ on what goals they would most like to pursue, but we need to share a baseline of where we are and how we are doing.

Human-Centered Capitalism.

The purpose of an economy should be to improve the way of life of its people—that is, to improve the measurable quality of life of each and every person in a society. We measure our economic health based on GDP, stock market prices, and headline unemployment rates. Meanwhile, life expectancy is declining, deaths of despair are surging, and millions of Americans are getting pushed aside. Our economic system should be geared to benefit us, with life expectancy, average income and affordability, childhood success rates, mental health, clean air and water, and other measurements of our well-being front and center. We must humanize our economy to work for us instead of continuing to see ourselves as inputs into a system.

Effective & Modern Government.

A modern and effective government knows the value of each individual and allows elected representatives to pursue legislation that benefits the electorate. Americans have lost faith in our government at multiple levels because it often seems hopelessly bureaucratic and behind the times. Interacting with our government should be easy and painless—even elevating—instead of something to dread. In many ways, the best way for us to restore faith in our ability to accomplish big things is to adopt higher standards for what we are doing right now. Imagine if a trip to the DMV or interaction with the IRS were as easy and seamless as online banking. You might become more optimistic about our solving big problems. Most important, our government should treat us as human beings and owners.

Universal Basic Income.

Each American dream is unique, and unlocking potential is the best way a government can support the well-being and success of the citizens that comprise the nation. In a period of unprecedented economic change and technological disruption, we should acknowledge that millions of Americans will need a new way to meet their basic needs and a pathway to stand on. We all have intrinsic value. The majority of Americans are now for universal basic income. Putting money into people’s hands will shore up our economy, create jobs, and improve physical health, mental health, the ability of children to learn public trust, optimism, and rates of business formation. It is the biggest step we can take to a human-centered economy.

Grace & Tolerance.

We live in a nation where our freedom to disagree is one we take for granted. It is what empowers us to continually evolve. Most parties need an enemy. Our enemy is those who would cast our fellow Americans as enemies and an existential threat, and the forces of inertia that make our government out of touch with the people. We all come to the table with different experiences and qualities. We are all human and fallible. We are polarized and tribal. We will give the benefit of the doubt to ourselves and each other and avoid engaging in the politics of personal attack or destruction. If my family member disagrees with me on politics, they remain my family and I love them as much as ever.

Excerpt from: FORWARD, Notes on the future of our Democracy

“ This is what we have to change: We have to give rise to the use of evidence, facts, and results and have legislator accountability based on whether they can demonstrate that they’ve helped move us in a better direction.”
- Andrew Yang

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Hahn

Oct 8, 2021, 10:50:55 AM10/8/21