Java vulnerability in web browsers

Dennis Piechota

Jan 13, 2013, 6:38:21 AM1/13/13
to RTI_...@googlegroups.com
For those of us interested in posting PTMs to websites using Java comes this setback:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is recommending that internet users
disable Java in their Web browsers after pinpointing vulnerability in the Oracle software.

According to a Thursday afternoon post on the U.S. Computer Emergency
Readiness Team’s website [http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617], Java
7 Update 10 and earlier could allow a remote user to “execute
arbitrary code on vulnerable systems,” putting it at risk for malware.
A cyberattacker could exploit the risk to either direct a user to
visit a website that would download malicious software to their
computer or to access a legitimate website and compromise it with a
malicious applet (a “drive-by download”), CERT said....

Dormann said making matters worse is the fact that the vulnerability
is true for most operating systems, including Windows, OS X and Linux,
and browser-level protections will not work against it.

Read more at:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/feds-issue-warning-on-java-security-86090.html

It is also recommended that Internet Explorer users use an alternate browser unless
you feel comfortable altering the registry. See:

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/636312#solution

Note: It's my understanding that while Java must be disabled Javascript can be
left enabled. This is good because it is required for Google Groups functioning and apparently is
not part of the current vulnerability.

If anyone has more accurate or uptodate info let us know.

Dennis

--
Dennis Piechota
Conservator

Leif Isaksen

Jan 13, 2013, 2:45:02 PM1/13/13
to rti_...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads-up Dennis - that's a pretty big deal.

FWIW Javascript and Java are unrelated (despite the similar name) so
there should be no problems in continuing to run JS.

All the best

L.