May 2013 Meeting

Justin Etheredge

May 28, 2013, 3:48:44 PM5/28/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Our May meeting is coming up this Thursday the 30th at 6pm.

Unless someone has a topic, this meeting is going to be an "open" meeting. For those of you who have not been to open meetings, we come up with topics that are interesting to developers, and the discussion is always lively and spirited. Next month, Aaron Kuzemchak will be giving a presentation, I have put abstract at the end of this message.

Hope to see all of your there!

We will be meeting at Snagajob's headquarters in Innsbrook:

Ecstatic Labs is sponsoring the food, so please let me know if you're planning to attend so I know how much food to buy.

PHP. Three letters that evoke a wide range of emotions. Developers love to pick on PHP these days, or simply brush it off as a language for amateurs, but most devs haven't bothered to see how things have improved in the last few years. We'll talk about some of the areas in which PHP has matured as a language, how the PHP developer's mindset and methodology has changed, and take a brief look at some of the newer frameworks that make development more fluent and... perhaps... more fun.

SF

May 28, 2013, 4:35:32 PM5/28/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there

Sixto

Peter Fries

May 28, 2013, 5:41:49 PM5/28/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Jonathan Pryor

May 29, 2013, 8:29:11 AM5/29/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

- Jon

Tobias O'Leary

May 29, 2013, 8:44:11 AM5/29/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on attending.

-Tobias

Al Tenhundfeld

May 29, 2013, 10:48:49 AM5/29/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

I've been using PhantomJS (and CasperJS) some lately. PhantomJS is a headless WebKit engine scriptable via a JavaScript API. I don't have a presentation or anything, but I could talk about it and show some examples. It's pretty cool.

-Al

Vish Uma

May 29, 2013, 11:34:44 AM5/29/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I will be there.

Vish

On 5/28/13, Justin Etheredge <jus...@etheredge.us> wrote:
> Our May meeting is coming up this Thursday the 30th at 6pm.
>
> Unless someone has a topic, this meeting is going to be an "open" meeting.
> For those of you who have not been to open meetings, we come up with topics
>
> that are interesting to developers, and the discussion is always lively and
>
> spirited. *Next month, Aaron Kuzemchak will be giving a presentation, I
> have put abstract at the end of this message.*
>
> Hope to see all of your there!
>
> We will be meeting at Snagajob's <http://www.snagajob.com/> headquarters in
>
> Innsbrook:
> 4851 Lake Brook Drive, Glen Allen, VA <http://goo.gl/maps/yg0zk>
>
> Ecstatic Labs <http://ecstaticlabs.com/> is sponsoring the food, so please
> let me know if you're planning to attend so I know how much food to buy.
>
> *PHP. Three letters that evoke a wide range of emotions. Developers love to
>
> pick on PHP these days, or simply brush it off as a language for amateurs,
> but most devs haven't bothered to see how things have improved in the last
> few years. We'll talk about some of the areas in which PHP has matured as a
>
> language, how the PHP developer's mindset and methodology has changed, and
> take a brief look at some of the newer frameworks that make development
> more fluent and... perhaps... more fun.*
>
> --

Thank You,
Vish
http://www.Vishcio.us

Armen Babikyan

May 30, 2013, 1:12:05 PM5/30/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there too.

Thanks!

Armen

James Long

May 30, 2013, 2:43:54 PM5/30/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of town at JSConf, sorry I can't be there!

Al Tenhundfeld

Jun 3, 2013, 11:57:49 AM6/3/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Nice meeting last week. We discussed a number of tools that were new to some people:

PhantomJS - headless WebKit with a JS API, useful for UI testing, screen captures, anywhere you'd want to automate a browser from the command line. (Selenium can also drive PhantomJS, e.g., if you already have a Selenium suite, but I haven't experimented with this.)

CasperJS - utility library for PhantomJS that provides nicer semantics for ordered navigation (without a callback soup), screen scraping, form posting, etc.

Litmus - very nice (but expensive) site for email testing, lets you see how your HTML email renders in pretty much every email client.

BrowserStack - cross-browser testing site, provides free screenshots of a site rendered in dozens of different browsers, older versions, mobile, etc.

Tddium - hosted continuous integration (CI) service Justin and I use and have been extremely happy with, specifically with our Rails projects.

CircleCI - another very popular hosted CI service.

Calabash - automated acceptance testing for Android and iOS apps – I think, I wasn't really paying attention to this part.

That's all I remember, but I think there were some others.

-Al