Potential Topic Ideas (Possibly for June?)

Aaron Kuzemchak

May 22, 2013, 4:27:40 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I was discussing this with Justin today, and wanted to run it by the group. I'm a PHP guy (Senior Application Developer at Visual Chefs), and was interested in possibly presenting some things that have really changed in the PHP world in the last year or two. A lot of devs cringe when they think of PHP, but they're typically only familiar with version 4 or less. PHP 5.3 and 5.4 have really matured things into a legit programmer's language, and I'd love to talk about the current "State of the PHP Union" and show off some of the newer tricks, concepts, language features, and frameworks.

Is there any interest in a topic like this? My idea as a follow up (or just a completely alternative) topic would be to focus on one of the newer PHP frameworks in particular, Laravel, which has really changed the way PHP devs are writing code and approaching projects.

Any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear if you all would be interested in hearing about this, and I'd be happy to prepare a talk/discussion to present.

Thanks!

Charles Feduke

May 22, 2013, 4:31:39 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I am one of those developers that cringe at the mention of PHP. (See what you have done? I'm cringing right now!)

But that doesn't change the fact that sometimes I have to deal with PHP.

And frankly anything that makes my life easier is a good thing.

So while I make but only a few meetings a year, if June is one of those meetings, I'd be interested in this topic.

Harper Trow

May 22, 2013, 4:33:56 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested, esp in Laravel.

Harper

Adam Lenda

May 22, 2013, 4:35:28 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I have spent the last 6 months working in PHP 5.3 and the CodeIgniter framework. I would be very interested in this topic. My client has discussed moving to Laravel for all new development, so your insight would be of interest to me.

I would be especially interested in any advice you can share on optimizing PHP to performance.

--Adam

Aaron Kuzemchak

May 22, 2013, 4:35:43 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
If there's anything in particular that makes you cringe about it, I'd be happy to work in if/how that particular thing may have changed :)

Tobias O'Leary

May 22, 2013, 4:37:26 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aaron,

I would be interested interested in Laravel. From a quick view is looked like symphony upgraded.

-Tobias

Aaron Kuzemchak

May 22, 2013, 5:02:09 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like there's a lot of interest in Laravel... do we maybe want to make that the primary topic instead? In many ways, Laravel represents much of what has changed in the PHP world, so focusing mainly on a tour of the framework would still lend itself to covering some of the new things in the language, like Composer and PHP 5.3/5.4 specific features.

Vish Uma

May 22, 2013, 6:21:03 PM5/22/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in it as well.

Thank You,
Vish

On 5/22/13, Aaron Kuzemchak <aa...@kuzemchak.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was discussing this with Justin today, and wanted to run it by the group.
>
> I'm a PHP guy (Senior Application Developer at Visual
> Chefs<http://www.visualchefs.com/>),
> and was interested in possibly presenting some things that have really
> changed in the PHP world in the last year or two. A lot of devs cringe when
>
> they think of PHP, but they're typically only familiar with version 4 or
> less. PHP 5.3 and 5.4 have really matured things into a legit programmer's
> language, and I'd love to talk about the current "State of the PHP Union"
> and show off some of the newer tricks, concepts, language features, and
> frameworks.
>
> Is there any interest in a topic like this? My idea as a follow up (or just
>
> a completely alternative) topic would be to focus on one of the newer PHP
> frameworks in particular, Laravel <http://laravel.com/>, which has really
> changed the way PHP devs are writing code and approaching projects.
>
> Any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear if you all would be interested in
> hearing about this, and I'd be happy to prepare a talk/discussion to
> present.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

Thank You,
Vish
http://www.Vishcio.us

Aaron Kuzemchak

May 24, 2013, 12:09:07 PM5/24/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
OK, I just found out that I will be presenting this same topic at Refresh Richmond the week before this meetup. Here's the "official" writeup I'm giving to them, which should give you a good idea of what will be discussed:

PHP. Three letters that evoke a wide range of emotions. Developers love to pick on PHP these days, or simply brush it off as a language for amateurs, but most devs haven't bothered to see how things have improved in the last few years. We'll talk about some of the areas in which PHP has matured as a language, how the PHP developer's mindset and methodology has changed, and take a brief look at some of the newer frameworks that make development more fluent and... perhaps... more fun.