June 2013 Meeting

1 view

Justin Etheredge

Jun 23, 2013, 9:00:11 PM6/23/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Our June meeting is coming up this Thursday the 27th at 6pm.

This month's meeting is going to be a good one! Aaron Kuzemchak is going to be giving a presentation titled "The State of PHP".

PHP. Three letters that evoke a wide range of emotions. Developers love to pick on PHP these days, or simply brush it off as a language for amateurs, but most devs haven't bothered to see how things have improved in the last few years. We'll talk about some of the areas in which PHP has matured as a language, how the PHP developer's mindset and methodology has changed, and take a brief look at some of the newer frameworks that make development more fluent and... perhaps... more fun.

Aaron Kuzemchak is a Web developer and technology fanatic/geek/nerd/whatever who has been developing websites professionally since 2004. He currently resides in Richmond, Virginia and works as Senior Application Developer at Visual Chefs.
He loves utilizing PHP frameworks like Laravel and CodeIgniter for building Web applications, and content managements systems like ExpressionEngine for Web sites.

Even if your'e not a PHP developer, there will be plenty of lively discussion that you won't want to miss out on. Who wants to miss a discussion about the world's most popular server side programming language? Personally, I can't wait to see how PHP has evolved.

Hope to see all of your there!

We will be meeting at Snagajob's headquarters in Innsbrook:

Ecstatic Labs is sponsoring the food, so please let me know if you're planning to attend so I know how much food to buy.

Aaron Kuzemchak

Jun 23, 2013, 9:26:21 PM6/23/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there, obviously! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Peter Fries

Jun 24, 2013, 7:12:45 AM6/24/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com

Damn, can't make it this month.

Vish Uma

Jun 24, 2013, 7:34:47 AM6/24/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I will be there

Vish
--
Thank You,
Vish

Jonathan Pryor

Jun 24, 2013, 10:23:39 AM6/24/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

- Jon

Ari Ugwu

Jun 24, 2013, 10:59:37 AM6/24/13
to Justin Etheredge, RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Jun 25, 2013, 9:00:02 AM6/25/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

Sixto

Harper Trow

Jun 25, 2013, 9:00:32 AM6/25/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

Harper

Justin Etheredge

Jun 27, 2013, 11:46:09 AM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Just sending out one more reminder to let me know if you're going to be attending tonights meeting. Thanks!

Aaron Kuzemchak

Jun 27, 2013, 1:09:43 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Quick question... where exactly in Snagajob's office will be be meeting? I've never been to their current office, but will probably head over a little early to catch up with some former co-workers there, and want to make sure I know where to be :)

Justin Etheredge

Jun 27, 2013, 1:31:48 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
There are some meeting rooms to the left when you enter through the main entrance. It is next to the cafeteria area. We will find you if you don't find us!

{sent from my mobile phone}

David West

Jun 27, 2013, 4:52:57 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
I'll see you guys there

Armen Babikyan

Jun 27, 2013, 5:29:41 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm planning to be there too, but I won't be able to stay for the whole 2 hours.

See you there!

Armen

On Jun 27, 2013, at 4:52 PM, David West <wes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll see you guys there

Adam Lenda

Jun 27, 2013, 5:44:05 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com

I'm sorry for the late notice, but I will be there

Aaron Kuzemchak

Jun 27, 2013, 9:32:28 PM6/27/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone who came out tonight. Here are my slides:

Regarding two of the questions that were asked during the presentation:

1. What happens if you bind the incorrect data type in a PDO prepared statement?

Although I can't find written proof anywhere, I believe that the PDO::PARAM_* parameters are mainly used to determine if and how a placeholder should be quoted in the query... not necessarily in converting the data to a specific type (although PDO::PARAM_BOOL does seem to convert INTs to 1 or 0). The SQL injection prevention will happen even if the wrong data type is used. Here's an example:

Also, in the event that the wrong data type is bound, it will not throw an error or anything... it will just return zero results.

2. Regarding the order of precedence in Traits, see examples 2 and 3 here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.traits.php. I think there was another question about what happens if Traits have a naming conflict, and that is documented in example 5. Like I said, I have worked much with Traits, but now after reading the docs on them in more detail, there looks to be quite a bit of flexibility in working with them.

Thanks again for your time tonight! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Justin Etheredge

Jun 28, 2013, 8:08:18 AM6/28/13
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Aaron for giving the talk! It was excellent, and while I probably won't be writing any php soon, I think you were successful in making me no longer a hater :-)