ROZ EK SHER : Kaif Bhopali

Manish Modi

Jun 17, 2023, 12:40:53 PM6/17/23
to ROZ EK SHER

आग का क्या है पल दो पल में लगती है

बुझते-बुझते एक ज़माना लगता है

~ कैफ़ भोपाली

آگ کا کیا ہے پل دو پل میں لگتی ہے

بجھتے بجھتے ایک زمانا لگتا ہے

~ کیفؔ بھوپالی

aag kaa kyaa hai pal do pal mein lagtii hai

bujhte bujhte ek zamaanaa lagtaa hai

~ Kaif Bhopali

Fire ignites in moments

But it takes ages to put it out

Reflection

Be it worldly fire that destroys lives and property, or the fire of desire, fire destroys whatever it comes in contact with. This is why the yogi lives in solitude, staying away from people and circumstances that ignite desire. The only freedom he seeks is freedom from desire. And his only shelter is the supreme self.

On a different note, politicians love pitching communities against each other. They ignite the fire of communal hatred for the sake of short-term political gains. Their incendiary speeches are exaggerated millionfold on social media, inciting lynchings and riots.

Politicians are scum. And we, who vote them into power, are the biggest fools. Have we not learned lessons from the Partition? Isn't Pakistan evidence enough to underline the fact that theocracies don't work?

_____

Urdu couplet by Kaif Bhopali

English translation and reflection by Manish Modi