ROZ EK SHER

Manish Modi

May 23, 2023, 11:20:46 AM5/23/23
to ROZ EK SHER

टूट सके ना मिट सके ऐसा पुख़्ता होगा तेरा प्यार

गर तू कर ले अपने हमदम पे सच्चा ऐतबार

~ मनीष मोदी

ٹوٹ سکے نا مٹ سکے ایسا پختہ ہوگا ترا پیار

گر تو کر لے اپنے ہمدم پہ سچّا اعتبار

~ منیش مودی

tuut sake naa mit sake aisaa pukhtaa hogaa teraa pyaar

gar tuu kar le apne hamdam pe sacchaa aitbaar

Your love shall be so solid that it will be unbreakable and indestructible

If you truly trust your companion

Reflection

What are the building blocks of friendship?

Common interests, enough time spent together, and a shared set of values.

I am known as a friendly man. But I find it difficult to be friends with people I don’t respect. They can be pleasant acquaintances, valued clients, or honoured guests - but not friends.

Common interests will help you bond, and being part of the same educational/professional set-up, or living in the same neighbourhood will ensure you are thrown together. But true friendship cannot blossom without mutual respect.

What are the building blocks of love?

God, karma, destiny…

There is no consistent answer to why two people fall in love. Each couple will have different reasons. Both partners could have different reasons!

But one thing is certain. Love deepens with trust, caring and nurturing. And it withers away in the face of betrayal, condescension, deceit, insults, lies and mistrust.

The greatest (and most long-lasting) love relationships feature one thing in common unshakable faith. The oneness that transcends the differentiation between you and me is built on a rock-solid foundation of faith and trust. The absolute oneness that Mirabai felt with Lord Krishna, the love of Radha and Krishna, and the inseparable bond between Satyavan and Savitri exemplify the ideal of love between two humans.

Few amongst us might be blessed with such a relationship. But if you reflect upon the strongest and most comforting relationship you have had in your life, you will find that it is based on the bedrock of absolute trust.

______

Urdu couplet, English translation and reflection by Manish Modi