ROZ EK SHER: Ghalib

Manish Modi

Jun 10, 2023, 9:51:46 PM6/10/23
to ROZ EK SHER
जान तुम पर निसार करता हूँ
मैं नहीं जानता दुआ क्या है
~ ग़ालिब

جان تم پر نثار کرتا ہوں
میں نہیں جانتا دعا کیا ہے
~ غالب

jaan tum par nisaar kartaa huun
main nahiin jaantaa duaa kyaa hai
~ Ghalib

My very life is beholden to you
I know not what prayer is

Reflection
Ishq-e-majaazii {worldly love}: I am so completely besotted with you that I have forgotten god.

Ishq-e-haqiiqii {divine love}: You are the most beloved. You reside in my heart. I need not establish a formal means of communication with you because you light up every moment of my life. My eyes see you, my lips sing your glory, and my soul experiences you. You are my entire universe. There is no one but you.

_____

Urdu couplet by Mirza Asadullah Beg Khan 'Ghalib'
Courtesy Divan-e-Ghalib
English translation and reflection by Manish Modi

🙏🏻🇮🇳

Manish Modi

Jun 20, 2023, 12:27:34 AM6/20/23
to ROZ EK SHER

कहूँ किससे मैं के क्या है शबे-ग़म बुरी बला है

मुझे क्या बुरा था मरना अगर एक बार होता

~ ग़ालिब

کہوں کس سے میں کہ کیا ہے شب غم بری بلا ہے
مجھے کیا برا تھا مرنا اگر ایک بار ہوتا

~ غالب

kahuun kisase main ke kyaa hai shabe-gham burii balaa hai

mujhe kyaa buraa thaa marnaa agar ek baar hotaa

~ Ghalib

To whom may I complain of the long night of pain
I would not mind dying once, but again and again

Reflection
Love causes anxiety, jealousy and insecurity. Even normally sane people suffer excruciating pangs of loneliness and misery. And nights are the worst! During the day, people are too busy working, commuting, and leading their daily lives. But the nights of separation hit you hard. The distressing pain of loneliness and the gnawing fear of losing the beloved cause havoc.

How beautifully Ghalib has expressed all this in a couplet!

_____

Urdu couplet by Mirza Asadullah Beg Khan 'Ghalib'