THE JAINA PATH OF PURIFICATION

Manish Modi

Oct 25, 2023, 5:12:34 PM10/25/23
to ROZ EK SHER, ROZ EK QUOTE

ॐ ह्रीं श्रीपार्श्वनाथाय नमः

Auṃ Hrīṃ ŚrīPārśvanāthāya Namaḥ

Jay Jinendra

THE JAINA PATH OF PURIFICATION

BY PADMANABH S. JAINI

Foreword by Kristi L. Wiley

Pandit Nathuram Premi Research Series Volume 22
2023   22 x 14 cm   512 pages   Paperback   0.5 kilos

Mumbai: Hindi Granth Karyalay, 2023

₹ 1100

http://www.navelgazing.net/2014/11/the-jaina-path-of-purification-by.html

Seldom has one book fathered an entire genre of books! This is one such instance.

Padmanabh S. Jaini’s The Jaina Path of Purification was a game-changer. Its publication was a watershed moment for Jain Studies. First published in 1979, this work retains its eminence as one of the best introductions to this ancient Indian faith. It is the gold standard for books on Jainism in English.

CHAPTERS

  1. Mahāvīra and the Foundations of Jainism

  2. The First Disciples and the Jaina Scriptures

  3. The Nature of Reality

  4. The Mechanism of Bondage

  5. Samyak Darśana: The First Awakening

  6. Vrata and Pratimā: The Path of the Layman

  7. Jaina Rituals and Ceremonies

  8. The Mendicant Path and Attainment of the Goal

  9. Jaina Society through the Ages: Growth and Survival

Also included is a glossary of Sanskrit and Prakrit words.

A review of this book by Professor AL Basham (author of The Wonder That Was India)

I have read the proofs of Professor PS Jaini’s book entitled The Jaina Path of Purification, and I give my emphatic approval. Without the least hesitation, I can say that in my view it is better, from the point of view of scholarship, comprehensiveness and readability, than any similar general study of Jainism known to me (for example, the works of Stevenson, Guerinot, von Glasenapp and Schubring). It will replace all these as the standard one-volume survey of the subject and will be read by all students of Indian religions.

~ AL Basham

Padmanabh S. Jaini was a Professor Emeritus of Buddhist Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. He was engaging, witty and exceptionally well-informed. His status as the world’s premier scholar of Jain Studies was undisputed.

This book is his magnum opus. It is the finest introduction to Jainism in the English language. We feel privileged to publish this book in a brand new freshly typed edition! This book is available at our bookstore and throughout the world through online sales.

To purchase books, please contact:

HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY

Publishers Since 1912

9 Hirabaug  CP Tank  Mumbai 400004