Fwd: Sam Lay 3-20-1935 / 1-29-2022

Lilronnigd

Feb 1, 2022, 9:22:49 PM2/1/22
to rc...@googlegroups.com
RIP Sam Lay
ro

-----Original Message-----
From: Corky Siegel <co...@chamberblues.com>
To: Lilro...@aol.com
Sent: Mon, Jan 31, 2022 11:34 am
Subject: Sam Lay 3-20-1935 / 1-29-2022

COUSIN CORKY'S NEWSLETTER
Dear Cousins,

On Saturday January 29 at 11 AM a member of our musical family, Sam Lay, joined the heavenly blues stars and he is now shining brightly in the sky.

"You - you alone will have the stars as no one else will have them ... In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing." - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint - Exupéry

I turned to Holly and asked; "What can one say about a lifetime with Sam Lay." Holly responded with the one word that describes our life with Sam; "Laughter."

Cousin Corky and Holly

P.S. Here's a link to the Italian Shuffle where Sam's sings Flip Flop and Fly with Chamber Blues. Listen to the very end where he insists; "I can break dance too if you'd like"

Photo by Paul Natkin - Moon shot by Steve Hausher
From top of Alligator Press Release

Performed And Recorded With Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Bob Dylan And Others

Drummed As Dylan "Went Electric" At The 1965 Newport Folk Festival And Appears On Highway 61 Revisited

"Walter, Wolf and Muddy, they must have known it, too – that you're second to none – your flawless musicianship and unsurpassed timing, a maestro with the sticks and brushes."
–Bob Dylan

"Almost without any argument one of the most influential and greatest drummers in the history of popular music. Lay is the real thing."
–The Chicago Tribune

Famed Chicago blues drummer and vocalist Sam Lay – who recorded on definitive tracks by Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Bob Dylan and many others, as well recording with and leading his own band – died in a nursing facility near his Chicago home from natural causes on Saturday, January 29, 2022. Beloved for his talent, his buoyant and outgoing personality, as well as for his sense of style (he was known for his cape and walking stick), Lay was among the most historically significant and musically innovative drummers in both the early blues and rock 'n' roll scenes. Lay is an inductee to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame, The Blues Hall Of Fame and The Jazz Hall Of Fame. He was 86 years old.