365Gay: Subway Restaurant Chain Sued After HIV+ Man Fired

Tom Dempsey

Feb 3, 2006, 11:17:52 AM2/3/06
to GayNews, LG...@googlegroups.com, Queer - Google Groups, QueerAlabama - Google Groups, QueerAlaska - Google Groups, QueerArizona - Google Groups, QueerArkansas - Google Groups, QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerColorado - Google Groups, QueerConnecticut - Google Groups, QueerDC - Google Groups, QueerDelaware - Google Groups, QueerDemocrats - Google Groups, QueerFlorida - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast - Google Groups, QueerHawaii - Google Groups, QueerIdaho - Google Groups, QueerIllinois - Google groups, QueerIndiana - Google Groups, QueerIowa - Google Groups, QueerKansas - Google Groups, QueerKentucky - Google Groups, QueerNewHampshire - Google groups, QueerNewJersey - Google Groups, QueerNewMexico - Google Groups, QueerNorthCarolina - Google Groups, QueerNorthDakota - Google Groups, QueerOhio - Google Groups, QueerOklahoma - Google Groups, QueerPennsylvania, QueerPensacola - Google groups, QueerSouthernCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerSouthFlorida - Google Groups, QueerTennessee - Google Groups, QueerWyoming - Google Groups
Restaurant Chain Sued After HIV+ Man Fired
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

(Las Vegas, Nevada) A Subway restaurant manager who says he was fired
one day after the company learned he is HIV+ filed a federal lawsuit on
Thursday.

The suit alleges that Robert Hickman was fired in violation of the
People with Disabilities Act.

"My HIV status in no way interfered with my ability to perform my job,"
Hickman said.

"The one thing that should have mattered at all to my employer - my job
performance - didn't even seem to enter into their minds when they fired
me because all they cared about was that I have HIV."

Hickman is represented by Lambda Legal.

The suit says that Hickman was hired by Donna Curry in November 2004.
Curry is the owner of Donna Curry Investments which owns a large number
of Subway chain restaurants in Nevada. Curry also is a franchise
developer for the restaurant chain's national corporate entity, Doctor's
Associates, headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Hickman was employed as a manager at a Subway restaurant in Henderson
Nevada where, according to court documents he quickly earned a merit
increase in his salary.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/02/020206hivSuit.htm