Blades: Ford slams brakes on ads in gay pubs (good background coverage)

Tom Dempsey

Dec 7, 2005, 3:55:17 PM12/7/05
to GayNews, LG...@googlegroups.com, Queer - Google Groups, QueerAlabama - Google Groups, QueerAlaska - Google Groups, QueerArizona - Google Groups, QueerArkansas - Google Groups, QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerColorado - Google Groups, QueerConnecticut - Google Groups, QueerDC - Google Groups, QueerDelaware - Google Groups, QueerDemocrats - Google Groups, QueerFlorida - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast - Google Groups, QueerHawaii - Google Groups, QueerIdaho - Google Groups, QueerIllinois - Google groups, QueerIndiana - Google Groups, QueerIowa - Google Groups, QueerKansas - Google Groups, QueerKentucky - Google Groups, QueerNewHampshire - Google groups, QueerNewJersey - Google Groups, QueerNewMexico - Google Groups, QueerNorthCarolina - Google Groups, QueerNorthDakota - Google Groups, QueerOhio - Google Groups, QueerOklahoma - Google Groups, QueerPennsylvania, QueerPensacola - Google groups, QueerSouthernCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerSouthFlorida - Google Groups, QueerTennessee - Google Groups, QueerWyoming - Google Groups
Ford slams brakes on ads in gay pubs
Anti-gay group claims it pushed auto giant with boycott threat
By ANDREW KEEGAN | Dec 6, 10:41 AM
UPDATED: Dec 6, 12:29 PM

An anti-gay organization claims it forced one of the nation’s largest
automakers to pull back its advertising in gay publications and
donations to gay organizations.

The apparent agreement between the American Family Association and Ford
Motor Company led a coalition of 19 gay rights groups, including the
Human Rights Campaign and Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, to
criticize the move and demand a meeting with Ford executives.

"If there is an agreement with AFA, we expect Ford to disavow it," the
groups said in a statement released Monday. "We expect Ford to publicly
reaffirm its historic support for our community. And, we expect Ford to
meet with LGBT representatives this week to resolve these concerns."

http://www.washblade.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=3903