Maupin plans Vegas visit

Tom Dempsey

Jun 20, 2008, 9:56:22 AM6/20/08
to QueerNevada, queer...@googlegroups.com

Though he has written nine novels with gay themes and he's one of the most successful gay writers in the past 30 years, Armistead Maupin doesn't like the idea of a gay fiction genre.

"I always maintained I am writing about everyone for everyone," says the author, most known for his six-book series based in San Francisco, "Tales of the City." "I want to be considered literature and have the right to be at the front of the bookstore" with other literature.

No matter where his books are shelved, fans have no problem finding and devouring them. Maupin's novels are international best-sellers and have sold millions of copies since "Tales of the City" was first published in the 1970s. Some of the books also were made into three miniseries that aired on PBS and Showtime.

He will be at the Clark County Library Thursday to give a reading from his latest book, "Michael Tolliver Lives." The book features characters from the "Tales of the City" series.

Maupin plans Vegas visit
Las Vegas Review - Journal, NV

http://www.lvrj.com/living/19968109.html