Fwd: [PFLAG-Gulf] Pflag Oxford/North Mississippi to run full page ad in newspaper

Tom Dempsey

Oct 8, 2008, 1:41:25 PM10/8/08
to QueerMississippi, QueerMis...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gail Stratton <gailst...@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:56 AM
Subject: [PFLAG-Gulf] Pflag Oxford/North Mississippi to run full page ad in newspaper
To: pfla...@yahoogroups.com
Cc: by...@olemiss.edu

Hi all,

I wanted to let everyone know about an initiative by the PFLAG Oxford North Mississippi Chapter!!

We will be placing a full page ad in the Daily Mississippian this Friday to support Coming out. With this ad, we hope to have 1000 signatures of people who agree with this statement. If you would like to add name to this list, please email at by...@olemss.edu by tomorrow!

thanks!
cheers,

Gail Stratton
PFLAG Oxford/North Mississippi

here is the ad:

WE ARE ALL 'OUT' TOGETHER!

"Coming Out Week 2008" is happening! We honor and celebrate all those whose courage and character move them to "come out" – all those who know their true identities to be other than "straight" or heterosexual and who name and claim their full authentic selves.

The process of "coming out" or "coming out of the closet" means to discover one's true self and be one's true self. It means to walk and speak with integrity, to be motivated from one's genuine core, and to live from one's pure heart. It means to respect oneself and, then, to turn that respect outward and respect the dignity of each other person as well. It means to strive for fairness and civility even with – especially with! – people different from ourselves.

We who sign here pause this week to honor and appreciate all those in our communities who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. They are our friends, classmates, neighbors, cousins, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, children, parents, sisters, brothers, students, and teachers -- and we treasure their presence among us.

This week we affirm the dignity of all persons, thank the LGBTQ community for leading the way in this process of coming out, and recognize that we all need to "come out." Not only individual persons but families, friends and the communities where we all live together need to "come out." We need to recognize that being homosexual is as normal as being heterosexual. We need to stop hiding the fact that we love and value our friends and family members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. We all need to "come out of the closet!"

A freedom-valuing America must make a welcoming place for all, regardless of age, ability, religion, gender, race, sexual orientation or place of birth. In this year of asking what America should be about in the 21st century and electing leaders who voice our values, we citizens champion those who share this principle of equality and justice for each and all.

So, here's a "shout out" to all who "come out" this week – and other weeks, too! Kudos! We will wear rainbows this week – rainbow bracelets, ribbons, and pins – in celebration and solidarity.

We stand with you – and we say WE ARE ALL 'OUT' TOGETHER!!

__._,_.___
Learn to live

a full life with these

healthy living