[Fwd: Christian Church Speaks Out Against City Council]

Tom Dempsey

Oct 14, 2005, 12:47:16 AM10/14/05
to QueerGulfCoast - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast - Yahoo!, QueerFlorida, QueerFlorida - Google Groups, QueerAlabama - Google Groups, QueerAlabama, QueerLo...@yahoogroups.com, QueerLo...@googlegroups.com
P R E S S   R E L E AS E

For Immediate Release: October 13, 2005

Christian Church Stands Up And Speaks Out For

Civil Rights And Social Justice

(A Response To Pensacola City Council Potential Action To Stop

LGBT Organization Public Festival In The Park)

Pensacola, FL - A local church is standing up and speaking out for civil rights and social justice.  The Rev. David Pettitt of Holy Cross Metropolitan Community Church says, “Jesus took the time to offer heartfelt hope that we, the people of God, would remember the Greatest Commandment, to love one another.  Holy Cross MCC was born out of a call from God to bring justice and equality to all people regardless of their sexual orientation.”

“We welcome everyone at our church, especially those who have been excluded by mainline churches because of their God given sexuality.  We believe that our sexuality is a gift from God and we provide a place of worship for those interested in integrating their sexuality and spirituality.  We are here to proclaim as Christians that we have a place in the Dominion of God, and as tax paying citizens we have a right to take our families out in public and enjoy the park,” says Rev. Sandy O’Steen, Senior Pastor of Holy Cross MCC.

Holy Cross Metropolitan Community Churches around the world are on a bold mission to transform hearts, lives, and history...Just as Jesus did, we are called to: Do justice, show kindness, and live humbly with God. (Micah 6:8)...

Rev. Ron Helms of Holy Cross MCC says, “The Pensacola City Council is WRONG on the matter of whether our community can gather for a public Festival In The Park.  We will always stand up for our civil rights and work with any affirming organization to protect our call from the Gospel to do justice in the world.  May we never forget that Jesus Christ paid the price for all of us to know hope and healing through God’s grace.”

(END)

For Press Interviews, Contact:

Church Stands Up And Speaks Out For Civil And Religious Rights

Rev. Ron Helms

Holy Cross Metropolitan Community Church

461 Massachusetts Avenue

Pensacola, FL  32505

850 . 266 . 4610

rev...@holycrossmcc.com