WCT: Gay Games-Outgames merger falls through

Tom Dempsey

May 9, 2012, 4:09:23 PM5/9/12
to GayNews - Google Groups, GLBT - Google Groups, LGBT - Google Groups, QueerAlabama - Google Groups, QueerAlaska - Google Groups, QueerArizona - Google Groups, QueerArkansas - Google groups, QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerColorado - Google Groups, QueerFlorida - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast - Google Groups, QueerHawaii - Google Groups, QueerIndiana - Google Groups, QueerMassachusetts - Google Groups, QueerMichigan - Google Groups, QueerMissouri - Google Groups, QueerNewEngland - Google Groups, QueerNorthCarolina - Google Groups, QueerOhio - Google Groups, QueerOregon - Google Groups, QueerPensacola - Google Groups, QueerPolitics - Google Groups, QueerSouthCarolina - Google Groups, QueerSouthernCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerSouthFlorida - Google Groups, QueerTennessee - Google Groups, QueerTexas - Google Groups, QueerWyoming - Google Groups
Gay Games-Outgames merger falls through
by Ross Forman, Windy City Times
2012-05-08

The much talked-about merger of the Gay Games and the Outgames for 2018 has ended without a deal, although negotiations will continue.

The boards of the Gay and Lesbian International Sport Association (GLISA), which oversees the Outgames, and the Federation of Gay Games (FGG) met May 5-6 in Montreal in an effort to come to an agreement on the creation of one quadrennial event (1QE). However, after over two years of discussions and negotiations, both organizations regret to announce that even though every attempt was made to do so, an agreement was not reached, it was announced in a joint release. GLISA posted the release on its website May 6, though the FGG does not have anything about the potential merger on its website as of May 7.

Kurt Dahl, who lives in the Chicago area and is the male co-president of the federation, was unavailable May 7 by phone for comment. He replied via text message: "Right now, I have no comment beyond what was in original press release. GLISA and FGG [will] continue talking. When there is more news, we will jointly communicate that."

Julia Applegate of GLISA, who lives in Ohio, was unavailable May 7 for comment by phone. She replied via email: "I can't give you any comment right now. We are not commenting at the moment. We will speak to the press if that changes. Thank you for respecting this decision."

The joint release read, "Both boards, with the support of their memberships, had every intention to re-unite the international LGBTQIQ community around a new event based on three components: Sports, Culture and Human Rights. This 1QE would have combined the achievements and long standing history of both organizations and their events.

"The boards have decided that at this moment, both organizations are unable to reconcile their differences in time for the 2018 event cycle."

more...

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Gay-Games-Outgames-merger-falls-through/37571.html