PQA: Stacey Abrams makes history at Atlanta Pride (and I call shenanigans!)

Tom Dempsey

Oct 16, 2018, 12:01:54 PM10/16/18
to QueerAtlanta, QueerGeorgia, QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast, QueerAlabama, QueerFlorida, QueerSouthFlorida
[Note: It's expected that current politicians and those running for office march in Atlanta's Pride Parade every year - but is seems to be a first to have a gubernatorial candidate speak from a stage in the park. (Politicians have spoken from the stage in the past and Atlanta Pride was hit with complaints about mixing politics and a celebration. Many believe have politicians or a political agenda highlighted from the stages to be inappropriate.)

We can thank Glen Paul Freedman abusing his authority for this blatant partisan and self-serving action. (To be honest, Freedman is the kiss-of-death to most political campaigns - they usually LOSE!)

- Other LGBTQ members of Abrams’ campaign team include Glen Paul Freedman, operations and compliance director;  (http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/meet_stacey_abrams_big_queer_campaign_team)

- Glen Paul Freedman is also a long-time Board member with Atlanta Pride. (https://www.atlantapride.org/about/)

Can you say "conflict of interest"?

Frankly, if Atlanta Pride's role in this day and age is to be a corporate shill for Delta Air Lines and Coca-Cola (to name a few) and endorse the party-approved political line - maybe it's time to move on.

Tom Dempsey]

Stacey Abrams makes history at Atlanta Pride

By Patrick Saunders | Oct 15, 2018 | 11:36 AM

Stacey Abrams became the first major party gubernatorial candidate to speak at Atlanta Pride and to march in the Pride parade. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and several elected officials and candidates also took part in Sunday's parade.

Abrams (top photo), the Democratic nominee for governor, addressed a rapturous crowd from Pride's main stage in Piedmont Park on Saturday.

“It’s important for us to understand that we have to have allies everywhere,” she said. “And there’s no better place to have an ally in Georgia than in the governor’s office.”

She noted the controversial confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying, “a terrible history was made.”

more...