Braves, Pride ‘amicably’ part as Kemp donation pauses potential sponsorship?

Tom Dempsey

Oct 25, 2018, 2:07:31 AM10/25/18
to QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups
"Amicably" is a strong word. Let's also look at Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines - the major sponsors of Atlanta Pride!

Braves, Pride ‘amicably’ part as Kemp donation pauses potential sponsorship

image.png

Metaphorically speaking, a faction of Atlanta’s LGBTQ community feel that a higher-up representing the Braves stroked the wrong kind of check — one that had Brian Kemp’s name scrawled in fresh ink on its face.

That faction took up a complaint with the board of Atlanta Pride, the one in negotiations for a festival sponsorship from the MLB hometeam. That complaint was not taken lightly.

“We did make a decision not to move forward with the partnership with the Braves this year,” says Jamie Fergerson, executive director of the Atlanta Pride Committee. Put simply? “We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so we can’t and don’t take positions on candidates or parties.” That’s not to say, however, that they’re apolitical. With a bit more context, she adds: “We do talk about issues and we’re certainly aware of what’s happening in the community around us. Pride began as a political entity, so we take stands when we need to.”

Fergerson stresses that as an LGBTQ-oriented organization, there are criteria on what makes for a good relationship with Pride and its sponsors. Among the many that have run through her mind as she mulls over businesses and individuals who show willingness to purchase space at the well-attended, three-day affair: “Do you support fair employment for our community? Do you support marriage equality? Do you support adoption rights, things that protect members of our community that are based on their sexuality and gender identity? Do your actions bear that out?”

more...

Tom Dempsey

Oct 25, 2018, 2:13:10 AM10/25/18
to QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups
It's probably safe to say this sponsorship is dead!

Tom Dempsey

Oct 25, 2018, 2:24:15 AM10/25/18
to QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups
PPS Home Depot gives to Kemp - and sponsors Atlanta Pride!