SoVo Blog: Another dubious HRC 'Equality Award' (good read!)

Tom Dempsey

Jan 30, 2006, 10:40:14 AM1/30/06
to GayNews, LG...@googlegroups.com, Queer - Google Groups, QueerAlabama - Google Groups, QueerAlaska - Google Groups, QueerArizona - Google Groups, QueerArkansas - Google Groups, QueerAtlanta - Google Groups, QueerCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerColorado - Google Groups, QueerConnecticut - Google Groups, QueerDC - Google Groups, QueerDelaware - Google Groups, QueerDemocrats - Google Groups, QueerFlorida - Google Groups, QueerGeorgia - Google Groups, QueerGulfCoast - Google Groups, QueerHawaii - Google Groups, QueerIdaho - Google Groups, QueerIllinois - Google groups, QueerIndiana - Google Groups, QueerIowa - Google Groups, QueerKansas - Google Groups, QueerKentucky - Google Groups, QueerNewHampshire - Google groups, QueerNewJersey - Google Groups, QueerNewMexico - Google Groups, QueerNorthCarolina - Google Groups, QueerNorthDakota - Google Groups, QueerOhio - Google Groups, QueerOklahoma - Google Groups, QueerPennsylvania, QueerPensacola - Google groups, QueerSouthernCalifornia - Google Groups, QueerSouthFlorida - Google Groups, QueerTennessee - Google Groups, QueerWyoming - Google Groups
SOVO BLOG

Another dubious HRC 'Equality Award'

But the Human Rights Campaign has taken the bandwagon right over the
cliff by announcing it will bestow its “Equality Award” on star Jake
Gyllenhaal and director Ang Lee for changing “the cultural fabric of our
country.” No word on why HRC snubbed Heath Ledger.

There’s no doubt that this movie and its stars, writers and director
deserve high marks (and Oscars) for making such a high quality film that
offers an honest, unflinching look at a long-term gay relationship and
is promoting a national dialogue on gay issues.

Too bad HRC honoree Gyllenhaal hasn’t been as honest while out promoting
the film.

Gyllenhaal told MTV recently, “…I don't think I would be able to do this
movie if it was a gay love story. That's not what it's about to me. The
movie is a story about two people not being able to love. And if it's
with a guy or with a girl, it doesn't matter."

He repeated that theme to an Australian interviewer, saying, “Like,
these aren’t, in my belief, these aren’t two, like gay guys.”

http://southernvoice.com/blog/index.cfm?type=blog&start=1/24/06&end=1/31/06#4875