Blades: Organizers seek sponsors for Gay Games bid

Tom Dempsey

Jan 31, 2009, 1:58:31 PM1/31/09
to QueerDC, QueerDC, QueerMaryland, QueerVirginia
If DC hasnt started the sponsorship process yet they are very much behind - and frankly shouldnt even try. Another news story said a bidding organization was ready to drop out and I assumed it was DC. Plus the Gay Games are not economically viable for any city.

I wonder what Boston is doing?

Tom Dempsey

Organizers seek sponsors for Gay Games bid
Meetings planned with Fenty's office, Council members

Amy Cavanaugh
Friday, January 30, 2009

Organizers behind Washington's bid for the 2014 Gay Games still have work to do — including nailing down financial sponsors — before the bid is due on March 1.

Vince Micone, president of the Metropolitan Washington Gaymes said the early work that he and others are doing, such as assembling the bid document, "is not an expensive prospect."

But he said things could quickly get expensive if the bid is successful. And that's partly why the bid must include a list of sponsors. None have yet been publicly identified.

"Right now, we are still doing our economic analysis and we're continuing to look to determine what we project the actual cost to be," Micone said. "Right now, there are a lot of balls in the air as we're considering venues, and the opening and closing ceremonies, and the educational and cultural events."

The 2006 Gay Games in Chicago may offer a model for D.C. to emulate.

Chicago's event, the first Gay Games to break even since the 1986 Games in San Francisco, cost $23 million to produce, according to two organizers who spoke to the Blade. Organizers covered the costs with about $13 million in bartering for food, travel, legal services and other costs. The remaining $10 million in costs was paid for in cash.

The Windy City Times reported that Chicago's Games initially incurred a $200,000 debt after a heat wave necessitated additional expenses. But shortly after the Games ended, that deficit was reduced to $35,000 through an inventory liquidation sale and a $100,000 grant. The remaining debt was erased one year after the Games through profits derived from a Games DVD and book, the collection of outstanding fees and fundraisers.

more...