AP: Conn. high court rules gay couples can marry

Tom Dempsey

Oct 10, 2008, 3:52:45 PM10/10/08
to QueerConnecticut, QueerConnecticut

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Dempsey <tom...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM
Subject: AP: Conn. high court rules gay couples can marry
To: QueerAlabama <QueerA...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerAtlanta <QueerA...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerFlorida <QueerF...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerGeorgia <queerg...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerGulfCoast <QueerGu...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerLouisiana <QueerLo...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerMississippi <QueerMis...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerNewYork <QueerN...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerSouthernCalifornia <QueerSouthe...@yahoogroups.com>, QueerSouthFlorida <QueerSou...@yahoogroups.com>

Conn. high court rules gay couples can marry
By DAVE COLLINS, Associated Press Writer

This  May 14, 2007 file photo shows Joanne Mock, left, and Beth Kerrigan speaking to media in front of the Connecticut State Supreme Court in Hartford where they were among plaintiffs in a suit brought after eight same-sex couples were denied marriage licenses. The state Supreme Court ruled in the suit Friday, Oct. 10, 2008  that same-sex couples have the right to marry, making the state the third behind Massachusetts and California to legalize such unions.  (AP Photo/Fred Beckham)
AP Photo: This May 14, 2007 file photo shows
Joanne Mock, left, and Beth Kerrigan speaking...

HARTFORD, Conn. - Connecticut's Supreme Court ruled Friday that gay couples have the right to marry, making the state the third behind Massachusetts and California to legalize such unions. The ruling comes just weeks before Californians go to the polls on a historic gay-marriage ballot question, the first time the issue will be put before voters in a state where same-sex couples are legally wed.

The 4-3 ruling is the first time that a state that had willingly offered an alternative to marriage was told by a court that civil unions aren't enough to protect the rights of gay couples. Connecticut was the first state to voluntarily pass laws to affirm civil unions.

"I can't believe it. We're thrilled, we're absolutely overjoyed. We're finally going to be able, after 33 years, to get married," said Janet Peck of Colchester, who was a plaintiff with her partner, Carole Conklin.

"I'm just ecstatic. It's such a relief, the joy of it," said another plaintiff, Jody Mock of West Hartford, who sued with partner Elizabeth Kerrigan.

In the majority opinion, Justice Richard N. Palmer wrote that denying marriage to same-sex couples would create separate standards.

"Interpreting our state constitutional provisions in accordance with firmly established equal protection principles leads inevitably to the conclusion that gay persons are entitled to marry the otherwise qualified same sex partner of their choice," Palmer wrote.

The Family Institute of Connecticut, a political action group that opposes gay marriage, called the ruling outrageous.

"Even the legislature, as liberal as ours, decided that marriage is between a man and a woman," said executive director Peter Wolfgang. "This is about our right to govern ourselves. It is bigger than gay marriage."

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said the ruling goes into effect Oct. 28 when it is implemented by action of the of the Superior Court. There will be no appeal, he said.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell said she disagreed with the ruling.

"The Supreme Court has spoken," she said. "I do not believe their voice reflects the majority of the people of Connecticut. However, I am also firmly convinced that attempts to reverse this decision — either legislatively or by amending the state Constitution — will not meet with success."

more...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/ap_on_re_us/connecticut_same_sex_marriage