working TCL code appreciated

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 5:00:33 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to Shen
The situation with a lot of programming groups since Google's
decision to end usenet support is really very damaging to the ecosystem
of the internet.  It reflects on the folly of people trusting corporations
to conserve the ecology of information exchange.   Google should
never have acquired the power to do what they have done.

Unfortunately open source doesn't seem to have been able to fill in the
hole created by Google dropping access.  A number of hackers have come
forward with home baked solutions and I've followed them up to find that
they've abandoned their efforts after getting them half working which is
in line with my experience of hobbyist OS.

I'm asking for posting permission via a home brewed interface to the TCL
group.  I need their expertise to solve this problem in TCL/tk which simply is:
create a window with a working scroll bar.  So far the code samples I've
gleaned do not work.  Once that is out of the way I think the last obstacle
in the IDE is solved.

Hence this post while I wait for my permission to be manually processed.
Any TCL code sample containing a working vertical scroll bar appreciated.

Mark

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 5:09:15 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to Shen
Interesting I asked ChatGPT a few days ago and got something that did not work.
Today I asked in a different way and got something that did work.

# Create a text widget
text .text -wrap none -width 40 -height 10

# Create a vertical scrollbar
scrollbar .vscroll -orient vertical -command ".text yview"

# Configure the text widget to use the scrollbar
.text configure -yscrollcommand ".vscroll set"

# Pack the text widget and the scrollbar
pack .text -side left -fill both -expand true
pack .vscroll -side right -fill y

# Populate the text widget with some sample text
for {set i 0} {$i < 100} {incr i} {
    .text insert end "This is line number $i\n"
}

An odd creature this AI mind.

Mark

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 5:56:48 PM (12 days ago) Jun 20
to Shen
Colin Macleod.has granted me access to his interface to TCL news.
Good news and kudos for Colin taking over from Google.  We should be through
this obstacle now very soon.

Mark

dr.mt...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2024, 12:06:45 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to Shen
Closing this thread.

I'm now through this problem and nearing completion of
the IDE which is 457 loc and type checked in 91878 inferences.

Mark