Cannot Exit IDE in 4.0.0.6

Susan M

May 13, 2021, 9:14:33 PM5/13/21
to PyScripter
I was doing some debugging. The IDE stopped stepping through the code. i.e. i got stuck on a line and F8 wouldn't proceed.

I then click on the Abort Debugging icon on the toolbar (and try the key shortcut) and nothing happens.

Clicking on the top right close box of the window, shows the message below, and clicking on Yes makes the warning disappear, but PySripter doesn't exit. (Try a few times, and it won't close.)

Looking in Task Manager, PyScripter.exe and python.exe are at 0%. So I terminate it from there.

I have no error message, feel like I must be doing something wrong, and don't know if it is worthwhile reporting such events?

New Project.png

Susan.

PyScripter

May 13, 2021, 9:49:43 PM5/13/21
to PyScripter
Of course it is worthwhile to report such issues.  Especially, if you can provide instructions for reproducing the error.   You could try to reinitialize the python engine if this happens again (Run, Python Engine, Reinitialize).

Susan M

May 13, 2021, 11:05:02 PM5/13/21
to PyScripter
Thanks for the suggestion. And yes, I will try to figure out steps to reproduce a problem, if I can.
Susan.

Jadranko Belusic

May 14, 2021, 12:55:28 AM5/14/21
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Can you Reinitialize button into toolbar maybe? It is great to have it visual somewhere

PyScripter

May 14, 2021, 7:21:33 AM5/14/21
to PyScripter
The Status bar items are clickable.  You can click on the status label remote, and access Reinitialize from there.

Susan M

May 19, 2021, 3:49:37 AM5/19/21
to PyScripter
Had the problem of the stepping stop working again. For example, F9 won't make the text continue. I was going to try your Reinitialize suggestion, but it was disabled (as it was in the main menu too).

I still don't have a recipe or pattern, so I am not expecting any resolution, but thought you might like to know.

(I guess writing a source code debugger is a tricky task.)

Btw, these small issues, don't take away from how fantastic PyScripter is!

Opera Snapshot_2021-05-19_174023_www.photopea.com.png
Susan.

PyScripter

May 19, 2021, 12:17:38 PM5/19/21
to PyScripter
The reason "Reinitialize Python Engine is not enabled" is that the debugger is in a "Paused state"  This means that it has stopped at a breakpoint as indicated by the blue arrow.   When stopped at a breakpoint the Abort command (red square button) should do a good job of aborting debugging and returning to a Ready state.  Have you tried pressing the Abort button?  If not, next time this happens please try that.

The reinitialize command is only available when in Ready or Running state.  When running, it is a forceful way of stopping the running script if nothing else works and starting afresh, for example to break out of an infinite loop.