Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest format error

Casey Ladtkow

Mar 2, 2022, 6:09:26 AM3/2/22
to PyInstaller
Hello All,

I recently encountered an error that took me a while to figure out. I now have things working but requires modifying the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest file. Can someone help me figure out how to get the package process to work without the manual modification? Here is what happens:

I am packaging my PyQt5 application using PyInstaller version 4.7. The packaged application runs fine on my development computer but when I try to run on the target machine I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "AMT2_Main.py", line 17, in <module>
File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 476, in exec_module
File "flircam\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 476, in exec_module
File "flircam\flirCam.py", line 1, in <module>
File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 476, in exec_module
File "PySpin\__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 476, in exec_module
File "PySpin\PySpin.py", line 13, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _PySpin: The application has failed to      start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I took the advice given above and used sxstrace.exe and found the following error:

INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.9659".
        ERROR: Line 17: The application element is not allowed in the component manifest.

After a little digging I found that the manifest contains:

  <application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <windowsSettings>
      <longPathAware xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">true</longPathAware>
    </windowsSettings>
  </application>

I deleted this section and the problem went away. I also tried replacing it with the Microsoft recommended:

<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"> <windowsSettings xmlns:ws2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings"> <ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware> </windowsSettings> </application>

Both of these solutions worked. Any ideas on how to fix this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Casey Ladtkow

Apr 2, 2022, 11:27:13 AM4/2/22
to PyInstaller
This is the place to ask questions right?
Capture.PNG