July GPCC After meeting report

m...@pulps1st.com

Jul 10, 2006, 10:13:26 PM7/10/06
to PulpCollectors
So, we had another great meeting this past Saturday.

Our theme this month was Air and War pulps.

We discussed the reasons why air pulps became so hot, and generally
agreed the Lindburgh flight was a catalyst. We talked about various
authors and which came first.

We also, of course, had a few members bring pulps to show around based
on the theme. Chris Kalb brought some of his G-8 pulps (Air, War, and
Character/Hero pulps in one), a Terence X. O'Leary, and an Air Trails
bedsheet with Bill Barnes (anotehr triple threat).

I brought some G-8, a couple of Lone Eagle, Air War (since these
included Captain Danger, another triple theme title), Sky Fighters,
Battle Aces, Battle Birds, Army-Navy Flying Stories, Captain Combat,
Fighting Aces, and a couple of Bill Barnes. This included first issues
of Bill Barnes, Lone Eagle, Air War, and Captain Combat.

Ed Hulse, of course brought in several titles, including Wings, Lone
Eagle, Sky Fighters, and otehrs, all of which were in great condition.

We discussed why there didn't seem to be many movies adapted from air
pulps, and Ed and I went out for a slice after.

All in all another excellent meeting.

Next month the theme is Weird Menace, Horror, and Spicy/Speed pulps.
Robert Lesser promised to bring some of his Spicy and Saucy Movie
pulps, Ed some of his Weird Menace and Horror, and I'll bring some
Weird Tales and Spicy/Speed pulps.

The next meeting will take place the weekend after this year's PulpCon
in Dayton.

Mark