Re: [TM] bike machines meeting

Sarah Moore

May 3, 2011, 9:14:25 AM5/3/11
to an...@pitnet.net, power_d...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea of for power down week Andor and thanks for the great invite.  Glad you are on this.

Sarah

On 5/2/11 11:39 PM, an...@pitnet.net wrote:

Hi all,

the Bike Machines group meets every Tuesday from ~6:00 pm until ~9:00 at the Milwaukee Rickshaw's space at 903 (? this is from memory, three doors east of Truly Spoken cycles) East Center Street.

The goal of the group is to provide the means to bike/human power the stage at the Energy Independence Day celebration at the end of the "power down" week.

Anyone interested in the prospect of generating (limited amounts of) power at their home or business is welcome to attend the meetings: bicycle power won't provide enough to get you "off the grid", but will give you a good grasp of the concepts/methods and materials involved in renewable energy systems.

This initiative is driven by both the RNA and Transitions group, Dan Felix is kind-of heading up the initiative and cooordinating things. (I name Dan because he is the most conected).

My approach to these things is a little different: as I am advocating for and designing systems that people can use during Power Down Week, not just the celebratory party at the end.  I want to show people how to power down now!  and on a continuuing basis.

This week I will be bringing my "test bed" to the meeting, and a group of motor/generators,  in order to demonstrate what I have found to be the most cost effective ways to generate electricity.  I will demonstrate how to evaluate different motor/generator sources, and the neccessary equipment to do so.  Next week, controls and storage.

Seeing as that's less than 24 hrs away, I better get busy.............

For those that have been making the meetings and looking for parts, I have a couple of exercise bikes that could be "hacked" ,I made some drive wheels for the Amerirican Science PM motors (5/16" ID), and have assorted belts, pulleys and pillow blocks available, call or e-mail me off list.....

Andor

414=933 6469

--
"The honorable choice I see is to power-down; stop taking airplane jaunts, repair old things, get out the clothespins, grow food, walk.  And face the truth, that I am party to something so enormously destructive I can hardly know its edges.  The conquering of any addiction begins with these words: I am the guilty party."  Barbara Kingsolver

Sarah Moore
Sarah...@wi.rr.com
414 372-3824

Transition Milwaukee