Outlook messages through Postini -- Domain "On Behalf Of" subdomain

Roderick Johnson

Feb 12, 2009, 1:16:02 PM2/12/09
to PostiniSuppor...@googlegroups.com
My name is Roderick Johnson, IT Manager for Central Holidays.  I was able to convince management to use GoogleApps premier with Postini.

We have some employees with more than one email address...however we didn't create a separate account for each alias.

Our employees want the ability to send emails as the same address it was received

Using Outlook, alias email addresses are sent "On Behalf Of" the default email address.  Why can't it just show the sender address without all the "On Behalf" stuff.  My people scream to me everyday about this.

What can we do about this Postini?  I have included a copy of such an email.  Please advise.

--
Roderick Johnson | IT Manager | Central Holidays Travel Group
250 Moonachie Road | Moonachie NJ 07074

this "FROM" option is still not working.. as you can see my name is still displayed in the FROM (see below)
Can this be fixed or not??

Feb 13, 2009, 8:42:42 AM2/13/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
The below references may help explain a work around for for more
information about 'custom from:' addresses;

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=54656

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=troubleshooter.cs&problem=general&selected=general_send3

FrankM

On Feb 12, 1:16 pm, Roderick Johnson <rjohn...@centralholidays.com>
wrote:
> My name is Roderick Johnson, IT Manager for Central Holidays.  I was able to
> convince management to use GoogleApps premier with Postini.
>
> We have some employees with more than one email address...however we didn't
> create a separate account for each alias.
>
> Our employees want the ability to send emails as the same address it was
> received
>
> Using Outlook, alias email addresses are sent "On Behalf Of" the default
> email address.  Why can't it just show the sender address without all the
> "On Behalf" stuff.  My people scream to me everyday about this.
>
> What can we do about this Postini?  I have included a copy of such an
> email.  Please advise.
>
> --
> Roderick Johnson | IT Manager | Central Holidays Travel Group
> 250 Moonachie Road | Moonachie NJ 07074
> Direct 1.201.228.5256 | Fax 1.201.228.5201
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---
> Lina Alvarez to me, Gianni
> show details 8:50 AM (4 hours ago) Reply to all
>
> this "FROM" option is still not working.. as you can see my name is still
> displayed in the FROM (see below)
> Can this be fixed or not??

Roderick Johnson

Feb 13, 2009, 11:29:32 AM2/13/09
to PostiniSuppor...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I have read these articles before.  If you only use Gmail as an interface, there is no problem.  But of course, the majority of people in this world still prefer Outlook because they're so used to it.  So for those Outlook users, the "On behalf of" feature still persists if you send mail under a different address.

While I understand the reasoning for Microsoft to place this feature (spam prevention),  the fact that we have no control over it is a travesty.  I don't like it when I don't have total control over my IT environment.  I should at least have the option.

I may have to revert back to my old email system because I can't take this complaining from my employees much longer...thanks Frank!
Central Holidays | Enchanting River Cruises | France Vacations | Maiellano Car Rental | World on Skis | CIG North America
Brands of The Central Holidays Travel Group

The Central Holidays Travel Group, the leading provider of high quality, high-value travel programs since 1972,
features Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, Israel.

Before printing this e-mail, kindly consider the environment.

FrankM - Power Poster

Feb 13, 2009, 12:18:54 PM2/13/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Obviously your gripe is with MSFT. Secondly, why is it difficult for
the users to change the address, or set the default on replies with
the email they prefer? Educate your end users as to how this works,
it's not that hard for them to do.

FrankM

On Feb 13, 11:29 am, Roderick Johnson <rjohn...@centralholidays.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > > 250 Moonachie Road | Moonachie NJ 07074
> > > Direct 1.201.228.5256 | Fax 1.201.228.5201
>
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­­--------------------------------------------------------------------------­-­---
> --
> Roderick Johnson | IT Manager | Central Holidays Travel Group
> 250 Moonachie Road | Moonachie NJ 07074
> Direct 1.201.228.5256 | Fax 1.201.228.5201
>
> Central Holidays | Enchanting River Cruises | France Vacations | Maiellano
> Car Rental | World on Skis | CIG North America
> Brands of The Central Holidays Travel Group
>
> The Central Holidays Travel Group, the leading provider of high quality,
> high-value travel programs since 1972,
> features Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, Israel.
>
> Before printing this e-mail, kindly consider the environment.- Hide quoted text -

Roderick Johnson

Feb 13, 2009, 1:16:02 PM2/13/09
to PostiniSuppor...@googlegroups.com
Dear Frank,

If they only use the Google interface then you're right there is no problem.  They can set whatever preferences for SMTP and that's it.  But when it comes to forcing people to use one interface over the other...that's where the resistance comes in.

My goal was to have very little change on the client side...but the more we use Google Apps, it just seems like it was built with the intention that you would scrap Outlook for the Gmail interface...

Personally I don't like that thinking.  Remember the golden rule when it comes to IT...users don't like change.  They want it work what worked for them in the past.  And when you try to be the voice of change...in this example scrapping Outlook for Gmail interface, it's a lot easier said than done.

I've have held several training classes on the new Google interface and the reception has been lukewarm at best.  My userbase are travel agents all over the age of 40...very stubborn userbase who is slow to change when it comes to things like this.

Well I guess there is nothing to be done...thanks anyway.

FrankM - Power Poster

Feb 13, 2009, 2:36:58 PM2/13/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Well, that may be true but who pays the bills? They'll get use to it.
In today's economy, I think this is the least of their worries. I do
not feel Google is forcing the issue, as they have made POP3 and IMAP
available features. The issue is with MSFT.

FrankM