Need to route our own SMTP server to Postini

David Pfeffer

Jan 20, 2009, 11:28:13 PM1/20/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Hi,

My company uses Postini as part of Google Apps to track emails, but we
have a need to use our own (local) SMTP server to send emails -- one
of our applications cannot handle authenticated SMTP or SSL provided
by Google.

How can I configure Postini to permit my local mail server to route
emails through it?

Thanks!

FrankM - Power Poster

Jan 21, 2009, 11:14:39 AM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Information about your email gateway options with Premier can be found
here, https://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=60730&ctx=sibling

FrankM

David Pfeffer

Jan 21, 2009, 11:51:36 AM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
There is no information on this page about Postini configuration.

On Jan 21, 11:14 am, FrankM - Power Poster <Frank.M...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Information about your email gateway options with Premier can be found
> here,https://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=60730&ctx=sibling

David Pfeffer

Jan 21, 2009, 11:55:36 AM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
This page also has no information regarding configuring Google to
accept email from my SMTP server; it only contains information
regarding having my SMTP server accept email from the Google SMTP
server.

wrote:
> Information about your email gateway options with Premier can be found
> here,https://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=60730&ctx=sibling

FrankM - Power Poster

Jan 21, 2009, 2:09:19 PM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
These are your options when using Google Premier with Postini. While
the option for dual delivery is available, the process you desire is
not. I'll assume your domain is bytenik.com, of which I do not see
Postini's MX records. Nonetheless, IMO Google's mail servers even with
Postini are not setup to allow for your request of a second SMTP
connector. I'll assume you have checked with the vendor of this
application regarding this SMTP issue?

FrankM
> > > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

David Pfeffer

Jan 21, 2009, 3:07:19 PM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Yes, and it is not something that can be resolved by modifying the
software.

I contacted Google Premier Support regarding how to configure Postini
to accept mail from my SMTP and they indicated that it is possible.
They told me to contact this forum to determine the procedure to set
it up.

On Jan 21, 2:09 pm, FrankM - Power Poster <Frank.M...@gmail.com>

FrankM - Power Poster

Jan 21, 2009, 5:37:05 PM1/21/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
If you are using a stand alone mail server, yes, but not with Google's
Gmail except for dual mail routing. With dual mail routing this may be
accomplished, though I do not know how the application works. Perhaps
you can review the Dual routing feature and see it that will work for
you.

FrankM