571 Errors

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 5:27:59 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps, br...@perdasys.com
We are getting regular 571 Errors from the postini incoming mail
servers despite having the domain whitelisted. We have a specific
domain that redirects email to our Google Apps Premier / Postini
domain so I'm sure it appears as through a lot of spam is originating
from that IP - even though it is simply getting redirected. Is there
anyway to whitelist IP address(es) for postini like you can in the
google apps config?

We are in the process of trying to filter spam at the original domain,
but periodically if that domain gets bombed, it seems postini blocks
the IP for an hour or so from all incoming mail from that IP/domain.

Please advise.

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 6:22:26 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
BTW -- the our primary postini domain is percontidatasystems.com

On Mar 12, 5:27 am, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

FrankM

Mar 12, 2009, 6:26:23 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
IP addresses of your mail servers that are forwarding email to Gmail
should be added to the Inbound Gateway and not in IP Whitelist, in
your Apps Control Panel. Service Settings -> Email Settings -> Inbound
Gateway

FrankM

On Mar 12, 5:27 am, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 8:15:16 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
FrankM

Thanks for the response, but the mail never makes it to Google --
postini rejects it -- we can see it in the traffic monitor -- it just
blocks everything coming from that IP address -- I need a way to be
able to do this in postini -- there isn't an ability to do anything on
the inbound servers page and I cannot enter IP addresses in the
approved senders.

I have made these changes, however, I'm willing to try anything - I
just don't see how it can work unless postini is reading this info
from google.

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 8:35:58 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
This didn't work -- I am having another outage as I write this.

FrankM

Mar 12, 2009, 10:07:44 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Not sure what you mean by outage.

I assumed that by putting the IP in the Inbound Gateway, it was the
same as listing it as an IP pass through as we do with Postini stand
alone service.

Calling Postini support for further information may be the next thing
to do.

FrankM

On Mar 12, 8:35 am, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"
> > > Please advise.- Hide quoted text -

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 10:58:36 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
When I mean outage, I mean postini is throwing a 571 error for all
mail forwarded from that ip address.

How would I call them -- do you have a number? I cannot find a phone
number for postini.

FrankM

Mar 12, 2009, 11:18:50 AM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
The Postini information is in your support section of your google apps
dashboard.

FrankM

On Mar 12, 10:58 am, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 1:23:55 PM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
FrankM

I was able to contact postini support and they sent me the
instructions on how to create an IP Address pass-through - like I can
on google apps, unfortunately, it is on the inbound servers tab of the
postini admin - which I believe is turned off for google apps for your
domain premier users.

Just wanted to keep the post updated.

FrankM

Mar 12, 2009, 1:29:50 PM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Yes, I know that. But so what service are you using? I assumed you are
using Premier.

FrankM

On Mar 12, 1:23 pm, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 1:37:19 PM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Yes I am using premier -- which does not allow me to access the
Inbound Servers tab on Postini Admin -- however -- I have just sent
the 3 IP addresses that I need postini to pass-through and the tech
said they could not provide me access, but they could do it for me.

Just waiting on a confirmation from postini tech to switch back the MX
records and let it rip.

FrankM

Mar 12, 2009, 2:02:40 PM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Oh, OK. They sent you instructions on how to have support do it, good.
The 571 error is thrown from Postini's Connection Manager threat
response filtering, which has different levels of filtering and can be
shut off. Though it defeats the purpose of having the Google dash
board settings for pass-through IP.

FrankM

On Mar 12, 1:37 pm, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

brian.p...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 2:16:06 PM3/12/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Postini was able to manually add the 3 IP addresses I sent to them to
an IP pass through and this seems to have addressed the problem.

FrankM

Mar 14, 2009, 5:19:46 PM3/14/09
to Postini Support for Policy Management and Message Recovery for Google Apps
Great. Hopefully in the near future Postini will able to provide an
API or other function to allow admins to do this themselves. I was
under the presumption that this feature was provided for within the
admin dashboard's inbound gateway listings.

FrankM

On Mar 12, 2:16 pm, "brian.perco...@gmail.com"

Maserati

Mar 17, 2009, 2:01:38 PM3/17/09

On Mar 14, 2:19 pm, FrankM <Frank.M...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great. Hopefully in the near future Postini will able to provide an
> API or other function to allow admins to do this themselves. I was
> under the presumption that this feature was provided for within the
> admin dashboard's inbound gateway listings.

Or Postini could read the settings out of the Google control panel.
That would make sense.

if you want access to Conenctions Manager, and you do, escalate an
issue to an engineering and talk them into giving you access. I had to
do this after having my main mail relay flagged as a spam source for
the second time; apparently something had happened to the pass though
that the first tech had put on the account.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.