Poetry Box Event

David Cooke

Aug 6, 2012, 10:31:11 PM8/6/12
to Poetry Box, cloc...@gmail.com, susa...@gmail.com
Hello everyone,
    I have 7 days to file the RACC grant to help fund the Poetry Box Event. I need help with a few things...
1. Venue--One that can handle around 50 boxes on 4" by 4" by 6' posts. Preferably a pedestrian heavy park (Pioneer Square or Waterfront Park would be ideal)
2. Poetry Box builders -- Especially you John and Doug.
3. A website--nothing fancy just a Wordpress site or an expansion upon the poetrybox.info site compatible with all browsers.
4. Building the buzz--get the facebookers to like Poetry Box
5. Funding--email promises of cash which can go toward construction costs of the Poetry Boxes. A Kickstarter will help with this. No money right now just a committment to donate so RACC can match the funds. RACC emphasizes paying the actual artists so the budget will mainly go to the poets and the box builders.
6. Poems -- The grant will be to encourage the writing of poetry and the sharing of poetry. I need new, old, published unpublished poems which fit the parameters of Poetry Box displays. ( Body of the poem parameters...Max line length: 60 16 font characters including spaces. Max line number: 30 including breaks) Title, byline, poem, and 160 characters including spaces for publishing, dedication, explanation, or etc. notes. Themes of walking, neighborhood, nature are encouraged but need not be central. Poems which are publicly inappropriate, hateful, or vulgar will be at a discreet disadvantage.

If you think of other ways to help, please clue me in.

Best regards,
David Cooke
Poet
PO Box 1552
Lake Oswego OR 97035

John Milliken

Aug 6, 2012, 11:14:05 PM8/6/12
to Portland Poetry Pole Group

David,

I am occupied 40-60 hours per week on a large construction project out at Intel.  Besides the project work itself, I mentor newly hired engineers.  The duration extends at least to the end of 2012.

I hesitate to offer my time for your grant as over-committing and under performing is an activity I avoid.

It should be a simple matter to find someone willing and endowed with sufficient time to construct what you need.
"El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz"' (respect for the rights of others is peace )
-Benito Juarez

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:31:11 -0700
From: da...@thelawnguy.org
Subject: Poetry Box Event
To: portland...@googlegroups.com
CC: cloc...@gmail.com; susa...@gmail.com

John Milliken

Aug 6, 2012, 11:14:41 PM8/6/12

From: popr...@msn.com
To: portland...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Poetry Box Event
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 03:14:05 +0000

David Cooke

Aug 7, 2012, 12:27:28 AM8/7/12
to portland...@googlegroups.com
No worries John,
    Many of your boxes are up and running. I just wanted to be sure that your style and expertise were showcased. It won't be until April of 2013 that it would need to be built. If you still can't find the time, can I ask you to keep the Poetry Boxes in your conversations?

Thank you,
David Cooke

John Milliken

Aug 7, 2012, 6:12:17 PM8/7/12
to Portland Poetry Pole Group
That is fine David.  I trust my life will decouple form warp-drive by April 2013.

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 21:27:28 -0700
From: da...@thelawnguy.org