Map visibility

Matt Blair

Feb 20, 2011, 1:01:14 PM2/20/11
to Portland Poetry Box Group
I've had some reports of the map not showing up in the link I sent earlier.

I've tested it on Firefox, Chrome and Safari browsers on Mac, and it
works fine on all three. It should work in those three browsers on
Windows, but I haven't tested it yet. I guess I need to bump that up
the priority list. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it fails in
Internet Explorer.

If you don't see a map when you go to this link:

http://poetrybox.info/

Please email me and tell me your operating system (e.g.
Mac/Windows/Linux/etc) and which browser you tried, e.g. Firefox or
Internet Explorer.

I attached a screenshot of what it is supposed to look like.

Sorry to be treating you as guinea pigs. Thanks!

Matt

portlandPoetryPosts110220.png

Tony

Feb 20, 2011, 1:14:39 PM2/20/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com
Matt:  Once again you did it.  You are batting 1000.  This is a beautiful poetry map.  You never cease to amaze me with your intuitive sense of what makes apps user friendly for people like me who are not all that proficient with technology apart from pointing and clicking.  Thank you so much.  I will use this frequently when I return to Portland just as I use your Heritage Tree app almost daily.  You are like my invisible guardian angel whenever I take walks around my city.  You are a constant presence to this urban dweller I call myself.  Thanks so much for everything you do and have done to make living in our lovely city such a rewarding experience.  The entire town bows to you !!!!!!  Antonio

Susan G

Feb 21, 2011, 11:34:14 AM2/21/11
to Portland Poetry Box
Hi Matt,
The map didn't display for me on my computer here at work. It runs on
Windows, Internet Explorer. I'll try it on my Mac tonight.

Thanks,
Susan

On Feb 20, 10:14 am, Tony <tonyp...@aol.com> wrote:
> Matt:  Once again you did it.  You are batting 1000.  This is a beautiful poetry map.  You never cease to amaze me with your intuitive sense of what makes apps user friendly for people like me who are not all that proficient with technology apart from pointing and clicking.  Thank you so much.  I will use this frequently when I return to Portland just as I use your Heritage Tree app almost daily.  You are like my invisible guardian angel whenever I take walks around my city.  You are a constant presence to this urban dweller I call myself.  Thanks so much for everything you do and have done to make living in our lovely city such a rewarding experience.  The entire town bows to you !!!!!!  Antonio-----Original Message-----
> From: Matt Blair <elsewiseme...@gmail.com>

Matt Blair

Feb 21, 2011, 11:51:36 PM2/21/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com, Tony
Thanks for your comments, Tony. I'm at sea when interpreting baseball
metaphors, so I'll assume 1000 is a good thing? I'll keep my helmet
on, at any rate.

I hope the project is intuitive, but unfortunately, if it doesn't work
on Internet Explorer, that's a significant slice of the audience.
There's always room for improvement, and Microsoft specializes in
curveballs.

Let us know if you run into any poetry posts down in Mexico!

Matt

Matt Blair

Feb 21, 2011, 11:59:04 PM2/21/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Susan. Please let me know how it works on the Mac.

I think I'll probably add a disclaimer to the site that it doesn't
work on Internet Explorer, unless it is something I can fix quickly.

Brief rant/explanation: The site is coded to web standards, but
Microsoft is notorious for not following standards. Fixing it so it
works in Internet Explorer could break it for everyone who doesn't use
that browser, and this process often requires a lot of testing and
tinkering and troubleshooting to get something that works on all
browsers. It's 2011. It's not supposed to be like this anymore. But it
is. On one hand, I'm not willing to abandon everyone who might be
using Internet Explorer. On the other hand, I don't know when I'll
have the time to come up with something that works equally well on
every platform. If you are technically inclined, all the code is open
source, and I'm happy to collaborate on fixes.

Rant over.

Matt

David Cooke

Feb 22, 2011, 12:03:44 AM2/22/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com
Matt,
    I'll shoot it past my techies to see if I can get the explorer issues solved.  IE is a BEEEEOTCH.
David

Feb 23, 2011, 3:58:03 PM2/23/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com
From North Queensland all the way to Guanajuato, I think we have to
make this project global!

I won't consider it complete until I get a photo of a box with a poem
in it affixed to the South Pole.

Matt

Tony Pfannenstiel

Feb 23, 2011, 6:14:08 PM2/23/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com
Matt. The South pole. I'll see what either Larry or I can do!!

Tony
Sent from iPhone

David Cooke

Feb 23, 2011, 4:51:22 PM2/23/11
to portland...@googlegroups.com, portland...@googlegroups.com
I think I saw "'twas the night before Christmas " on the North Pole.

David Cooke
The Lawn Guy

PO Box 1552
Lake Oswego OR 97035