Solicitor Question

curiousones23

Jun 23, 2020, 3:58:57 PM6/23/20
to poplar...@googlegroups.com
Hello - We had a young lady knock on our door about 25 minutes ago on Sewell. We have a sign that says no visitors because of our immunocompromised household. But she persisted. Nonetheless, I answered through a crack in the door and she stated she was accepting cash donations for some organization that sounded like “Virginia Youth Ministry”. I told her we had no cash but we would make a donation online. She said she wouldn’t get credit that way. She left pretty quickly and I didn’t want to leave the house to ask more questions. If anyone gets a visit from her, please let me know if you are able to get the name of the organization because I don’t think I got it right. TY

Cecilia Op de Beke

Jun 23, 2020, 4:01:13 PM6/23/20
to curiousones23, poplar...@googlegroups.com
From time to time youth groups come by asking for donations. I didn’t have time to talk with her but I usually donate $5 or so. When I said I didn’t have time, she was polite and left promptly. We’ve had other youth groups collecting from time to time.
Cecilia

--
You received this note as a member of the Poplar Heights Civic Association Google Group. To configure your profile, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/poplarheights?hl=en
---

Drew Haldane

Jun 23, 2020, 4:20:36 PM6/23/20
to Poplar...@googlegroups.com, curiousones23
She came to our door as well, and I caught the name but don't remember what it was, sorry.  In any case, they come out about once a year or so.  I think it's a real organization, but IMO all they're doing is engaging in organized begging, so I usually politely decline to hear their pitch.

Drew

Jun 23, 2020, 7:26:53 PM6/23/20
to Drew Haldane, Poplar Heights Civic Association, curiousones23

Toni Genberg

Jun 23, 2020, 7:58:37 PM6/23/20
to Molly Patton, Drew Haldane, Poplar Heights Civic Association, curiousones23
Sometimes the kids going door to door are being exploited. I found this article with a response by the public affairs director of the Virginia Youth Club of America. It doesn't mean they are legitimate, however.

Cecilia Op de Beke

Jun 23, 2020, 10:51:13 PM6/23/20
to Molly Patton, Drew Haldane, Poplar Heights Civic Association, curiousones23
Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone

Charles Winkler

Jun 24, 2020, 8:54:27 AM6/24/20
to Poplar...@googlegroups.com, poplar...@googlegroups.com
When it comes to solicitors, I find that Rumpole of the Bailey has low rates and a decent sense of humor. Plus his outfit is fun!

Classic TV Revisited: Rumpole of the Bailey | Memorable TV