Quick fix?

Etienne

Jan 5, 2014, 6:32:43 PM1/5/14
to polyp...@googlegroups.com
Good evening polyphasers,

I find myself with a deadline—in a bit more than two weeks!—that will be difficult to make unless I pull some extra hours. I have always been interested in polyphasic sleep, but haven't yet made the step. My wife and I have a 2yo, and given that we are juggling with 50/50 chores and work commitments, it was never the right time. I do intend to stretch my awake time to meet the deadline, and thus came to wonder if you had any advice, on schedules, nutrition, bottlenecks and such. I can potentially take naps during the day. I understand optimum sleep/awake experience comes with slow but steady stretches, and will not jump into a hard-core schedule right away, which might not make sense given the urgency.

Anyway, thought that was worth a shot! Thanks much in advance!

Etienne

Alvaro F. Boirac

Jan 5, 2014, 8:29:35 PM1/5/14
to polyp...@googlegroups.com
My experience was that it took about 3 to 4 weeks to adapt to Everyman.
The 4 - 7am section was the hardest (if you can do chores at that time it would be best: deep thinking and concentration will be hard around that time)

Alvaro

Etienne B. Roesch

Jan 5, 2014, 8:35:37 PM1/5/14
to polyp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alvaro!

You're right, it does sound rather hard! I was not thinking of taking
full uberman or everyman schedule, as I anticipated it would take weeks
to get to cruising speed. Rather, I was hoping to progressively reduce
my sleeping time, and take short 20min naps a few times during the day
if needed. Additionally, I will probably avoid alcohol and the like,
which has a tendency to mess up with my sleep and focus.

Etienne

On 06/01/2014 01:29, Alvaro F. Boirac wrote:
> My experience was that it took about 3 to 4 weeks to adapt to Everyman.
> The 4 - 7am section was the hardest (if you can do chores at that time
> it would be best: deep thinking and concentration will be hard around
> that time)
>
> Alvaro
> six40winks.com <http://six40winks.com>
>

> On 5 January 2014 19:32, Etienne <etienne...@gmail.com
> <mailto:etienne...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Good evening polyphasers,
>
> I find myself with a deadline�in a bit more than two weeks!�that
> will be difficult to make unless I pull some extra hours. I have
> always been interested in polyphasic sleep, but haven't yet made the
> step. My wife and I have a 2yo, and given that we are juggling with
> 50/50 chores and work commitments, it was never the right time. I do
> intend to stretch my awake time to meet the deadline, and thus came
> to wonder if you had any advice, on schedules, nutrition,
> bottlenecks and such. I can potentially take naps during the day. I
> understand optimum sleep/awake experience comes with slow but steady
> stretches, and will not jump into a hard-core schedule right away,
> which might not make sense given the urgency.
>
> Anyway, thought that was worth a shot! Thanks much in advance!
>
> Etienne
>
> --
> --
> Groups "Polyphasic Sleep" group.
> send an email to polyphasic+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:polyphasic%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Jeremy Jones

Jan 5, 2014, 8:52:10 PM1/5/14
to polyp...@googlegroups.com
I've found a strategy that works fairly well for me -- I tend to migrate back and forth between monophasic and polyphasic sleep patterns at different times of year.

1. I assume a normal monophasic sleep session for me is roughly 7.5 hours (or 5 x 1.5 hour sleep cycles).
2. For each 1.5 hour "normal" sleep cycle I want to eliminate, I use 1 x 20 minute nap.
3. I keep my waking hours (times between naps and my "big sleep") roughly equal in length.

So, if I want to do a basic biphasic pattern, I generally sleep from midnight to 6AM, and take a 20 minute nap sometime between 2 and 3PM.  If I cut out two of my nightly sleep cycles, and sleep just from 1:30AM to 6AM, I'll nap sometime around lunch time for 20 minutes, and again around 7 or 8PM.  I find the more sleep cycles I cut from my "big sleep", the more important it is to get my naps right on schedule.

The move from monophasic to biphasic is easy -- don't notice any change in my mental state.  After doing biphasic for a week or 2, it's equally easy to move to triphasic (4.5 hour big sleep and 2 x 20 minute naps). Sometimes I'll jump right from monophasic to triphasic, but that's a little harder on me.

<mailto:etienne.roesch@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

Etienne B. Roesch

Jan 6, 2014, 2:26:13 AM1/6/14
to polyp...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Jeremy!

Excellent, thank you very much! That is very helpful!
It makes a lot of sense, and that's roughly what I had in mind.
I have cut my sleep short last night, from a bit more than 1.5h,
possibly 2.5h. I am planning to squeeze in two naps today.

I'll report tonight! ;)

Kind regards,

Etienne