Garden Update: Compost, thefts and end of year jobs

Jack Downs

Sep 28, 2023, 8:33:52 AM9/28/23
to Plattsburgh Community Garden
Gardeners,

Our season is winding down. Save the date for a workday Saturday, Oct. 28, when we'll do end-of season duties.

In the meantime, as you fit up your plot for the winter, please add some compost.

Our delivery of compost at Penfield has been delayed by rain and supplier problems. We are scheduled for a delivery Monday. At PHA, you should have bagged compost in the shed. Let me know if you need more.

Soon I will be removing the hose systems, which will leave watering available only with hand containers. Then in late October or early November the water will be shut off.

But you don't have to stop growing produce right now. Leave late-seasons crops in the ground as long as you like. However, trellises, tomato cages, other constructions and posts other than short boundary markers must be removed by the end of October.

Thefts -- We have had an unusual number of targeted thefts at Penfield. Although we are sympathetic, I'm afraid we don't have a solution. But we do suggest all gardeners visit regularly, stay vigilant and remove your produce when it is ready.

Sign up for 2024 -- Are you returning for 2024. For next year we are not requiring full applications from returning gardeners, unless any of your info has changed.

If your info is unchanged, send me a note and payment anytime. I suggest you do it soon to get it out of the way. Include your name, address and plot number. Mail to:
Jack Downs
96A Oak St
Plattsburgh NY 12901

A reminder, the fees are: $35 Penfield, $25 PHA and no fee for PHA residents who garden at PHA, although you still need to let me know you are returning.

Know anyone new who wants to garden next year? Have them get in touch with me. I'll be updating the website soon with 2024 applications.

See you at the garden,

Jack