Rails 2.3 Engines & Desert

1 view

Andrei Erdoss

Mar 26, 2009, 5:35:30 AM3/26/09
to pivotallab...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

How does Rails 2.3 Engines compare to Desert? Can you please give me some ideas on what they have in common and what makes them different.

Is there still going to be support for Desert in the future, with the emergence of Rails 2.3 and Rails 3? Or is the stuff that's coming from Rails, will it overlap Desert's functionality?

Thank you,

--
Andrei Erdoss

Brian Takita

Mar 26, 2009, 1:50:09 PM3/26/09
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Andrei Erdoss <erd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How does Rails 2.3 Engines compare to Desert? Can you please give me some
> ideas on what they have in common and what makes them different.
There are a few differences which I, or somebody else, will go into
greater detail, perhaps in a blog post.
Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:
* In Engines, plugin routes are not optional. In Desert, your
application can opt-in to use the plugin's routes.
* Desert allows reopening of the Controller classes.
* There are differences with the migration strategy. It appears that
Engines will copy the migrations from the plugins into the main
application. Desert has an api to invoke plugin migrations.
* I'm not sure, but does Engines support views in plugins?

If anybody else know of differences, please chime in.

> Is there still going to be support for Desert in the future, with the
> emergence of Rails 2.3 and Rails 3? Or is the stuff that's coming from
> Rails, will it overlap Desert's functionality?
Desert will be support with Rails 2.x.
There will be significant differences with how Rails handles
components (they will probably be similar to Merb's slices). We are
going to wait and see if Desert still provides usefulness then.

In the mean time, we want to change Desert to be like Rails 3.x
slices, to provide an easier migration path to Rails 3.x slices in a
Rails 2.x application.

> Thank you,
>
> --
> Andrei Erdoss
Thank you for you inquiry,
Brian Takita

Andrei Erdoss

Mar 26, 2009, 1:58:30 PM3/26/09
to pivotallab...@googlegroups.com

This is great idea. How can I help in achieving this?

> Thank you,
>
> --
> Andrei Erdoss
Thank you for you inquiry,
Brian Takita

--
Andrei Erdoss

Brian Takita

Mar 26, 2009, 2:16:52 PM3/26/09
to pivotallab...@googlegroups.com
Exactly what you are doing right now to start (bringing up
issues/suggestions). If you would like, we also can use bug reports,
bug fixes, feature requests, patches, etc.

Let us know if there is anything you need done.

>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Andrei Erdoss
Thank you,