[Pitts12Google] Riveting trailing edge

Ktg

Apr 22, 2010, 7:56:06 PM4/22/10
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Kevin

Instructions say to rivet trailing edge to ribs. Can be glued on in
addition to riveting.

All ribs get a rivet, right? Even the truss ribs? Any tips on how to
set these rivets?

Kevin G

Sent from my iPhone

--
PLEASE READ THIS -

TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE: Use "reply to sender" function to reply to the above topic only, and please INCLUDE ONLY YOUR REPLY. By deleting all prior existing text (including this footer) it won't be repeated in the archives, making future searching and reading easier.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com

kevin kimball

Apr 23, 2010, 7:27:38 PM4/23/10
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

We rivet and epoxy all the ribs. Some people don't and just use epoxy. Riveting the ribs is tricky. You have to countersink top and bottom of the material, use #3 flush rivets and carfully peen them with a hammer and bucking bar.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball, Vice President

Jim Kimball Enterprises, Inc.
PO Box 849, 5354 Cemetery Road
Zellwood, FL 32798-0849
407.889.3451 phone 407.889.7168 fax
www.pittsmodel12.com
www.jimkimballenterprises.com
Email: Ke...@jimkimballenterprises.com

On Apr 22, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Ktg wrote:

> Kevin
>
> Instructions say to rivet trailing edge to ribs. Can be glued on in addition to riveting.
>
> All ribs get a rivet, right? Even the truss ribs? Any tips on how to set these rivets?
>
> Kevin G
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> PLEASE READ THIS -
> TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE: Use "reply to sender" function to reply to the above topic only, and please INCLUDE ONLY YOUR REPLY. By deleting all prior existing text (including this footer) it won't be repeated in the archives, making future searching and reading easier.
>
> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
> Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.
> TO START A NEW TOPIC:
> You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
> Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

Darin Bishop

Oct 29, 2014, 12:55:46 PM10/29/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Ha ha! A four year old email is brought back to life!

Kevin, I am wondering, regarding the gluing and riveting of the trailing edges, do you glue them and let the glued cure first then rivet or rivet and glue at the same time.

It seems like it would be easier to rivet a dry hardened structure, than a sticky slippery one.

Thanks,

Darin

Kevin Kimball

Oct 29, 2014, 2:52:35 PM10/29/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com
We do it all on same time. Not too messy.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball, President

--
[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pitts12/C15532A102E44659A6D400DA4190532A%40Acer1.

Darin Bishop

Oct 29, 2014, 8:07:49 PM10/29/14