Trailing edge material

Darin Bishop

Oct 1, 2014, 11:56:27 AM10/1/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm about to start fitting the training edge on my TOP wing and I have a hopefully simple question. My lower wings don't have trailing edge on them yet since they were started by somebody else and I wanted to build an entire wing before switching over and finishing the lowers.

I've found four sticks of the aluminum trailing edge sections two are 40" and two are 45"

I was originally thinking the 40's are for the lower wings and the 45's are for the top, but looking at my pictures has got me slightly confused.

From these two pics I'm assuming the 40's are for the lower wing and the 45's are for the top wing:

  • Lower wing trailing edge  DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY INBOARD -

  • Upper wing trailing edge DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY INBOARD -

But then I came across this pic of a guy at Kevin's shop a few years back routing the LEFT lower wing all the way inboard, which reading the instructions seems to be done on the LEFT side only. But then that would need 41" of material as measured out on my lower wings here. Thats more than the 40" stick I have so I hope you understand my confusion.

Can somebody tell me which sticks of trailing edge to use where?

THANKS!!!

Darin
csh_64453588w800_P1310172.JPG
csh_fa15e9bdw800_P1310156.JPG
csh_2cc42a0dw800_P4036198.JPG
csh_ce7352d8w800_P4036199.JPG
csh_b5cf5b02w800_P4036202.JPG

John Clayton

Oct 1, 2014, 10:17:52 PM10/1/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com

Darin

I ran the lower all the way to the out board side of the first rib and on the upper I ran it to the start of the curve on the center bow.

I put in a couple of pictures of what I did. I don’t remember the length of the trailing edge material ,and I don’t think I cut them down much.

Good Luck

John

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pitts12/19038DC05BDB44A48396AF24DA32BF02%40MonsterPC.

image002.jpg
image004.jpg
image006.jpg
image008.jpg
image010.jpg
lower wing 107.jpg
upper wing 61.jpg

Kevin Kimball

Oct 2, 2014, 7:21:29 AM10/2/14
to 1Pitts12 List List
Darin,

We always end the upper trailing edge 1.5-2” onto the center section plywood.  We don’t run it all the way in to the center section bow.

On the lower wings, we have done it both ways, just a 2” lap and all the way across depending on the way the plywood walkway came together.  If it is a bit short, we will run the aluminum all the way across.  If the ply is long enough or too long(preferred), we fit the trailing edge to the 2” lap onto the walkway and leave the remaining width of the ply too long.  After the edge is glued and riveted on, we sand the ply to match.  BTW, use this same technique on the upper ply.  Only trim down and then fit the alum to the overlap point.  After it is bonded on and dry, same the rest to be the exact shape of the alum edge.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball, President
Jim Kimball Enterprises, Inc.
PO Box 849
5354 Cemetery Road
Zellwood, FL 32798-0849

On Oct 1, 2014, at 10:17 PM, John Clayton <clayt...@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

From these two pics I'm assuming the 40's are for the lower wing and the 45's are for the top wing:

  • Lower wing trailing edge  DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY INBOARD -
<image002.jpg>

  • Upper wing trailing edge DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY INBOARD -
<image004.jpg>

But then I came across this pic of a guy at Kevin's shop a few years back routing the LEFT lower wing all the way inboard, which reading the instructions seems to be done on the LEFT side only. But then that would need 41" of material as measured out on my lower wings here. Thats more than the 40" stick I have so I hope you understand my confusion.

<image006.jpg>

<image008.jpg>

<image010.jpg>

<lower wing 107.jpg><upper wing 61.jpg>

Darin Bishop

Oct 2, 2014, 12:01:06 PM10/2/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

When you say the ply is long enough, too long or short in what direction are you talking about?

Darin

Kevin Kimball

Darin Bishop

Oct 3, 2014, 12:25:06 PM10/3/14
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the answer and the clarification, makes a lot more sense now.