POH

Mike Mayfield

Jun 19, 2015, 4:03:53 AM6/19/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Attached here is my latest edition of the POH for VH-SHM. It approximately follows the "GAMA" POH specification and is in "A5" format - no I don't apologise for using ISO standard paper sizes like the rest of the world! ;)

This POH was compiled some months back at the "suggestion" of the airworthiness delegate (i.e., our Government guy) who signed off the certification here when the plane was re-assembled down under. Of course if the airworthiness delegate wants a custom POH, a custom POH he shall have. I started off with the one on the Model 12 website and some notes Larry King gave me, and expanded it a fair bit as well as customising it procedurally and technically to this particular aircraft. I've just updated it with a few additions and corrections.

There are absolutely no restrictions on using/downloading this or borrowing/stealing from it for your own POH, or even just browsing it through morbid curiosity. The procedures work really well and I'm confident after 12 months flying the aircraft that I've almost idiot-proofed them if they're followed correctly.

If anyone fancies their MS Word skills and wants the source document for this or the abbreviated checklist (just the same as the "Normal Procedures" section but in simple checklist form) throw me an email at mmayfield(at)ozemail.com.au and I'll happily forward the very latest Microsoft Word docx file to you. You can then convert it to whatever crazy American non-standard size/shape/format/units you want.

Procedures and systems descriptions are of course tailored to this aircraft as mentioned but it might (or might not) give you ideas for how you want to setup your own Model 12. Bear in mind that there are some things already now out on the market which are better than what I had to decide on at the time, as well as one or two things I probably wouldn't choose again: the Garmin Aera is a very competent navigator but is virtually impossible to see in bright sunlight under this canopy and quite frankly just gives me the sh*ts on anything but a cloudy day. On the engine monitor front, EI have come out with a really nice version (in my opinion) of an engine monitor for a 9 cylinder radial. Although the JPI does work just fine, is pretty easy to read, and monitors everything on the engine, I believe Kevin had a bit of a nightmare on the service and support front. Hot gossip I got from Sun N Fun is that GRT are finally working on an engine monitor which will blind mount behind the panel and couple to the "Mini" EFIS, and be able to do all 9 cylinder parameters of CHTs and EGTs instead of being handicapped with limited temp inputs. This is very useful stuff if you're going to have a Barrett engine.

Just my thoughts for those beavering away on their builds at the moment........

Cheers,
Mike Mayfield
POH Pitts Model 12_A5_reduced size.pdf

Joel Buseman

Jun 19, 2015, 8:32:32 AM6/19/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Wow Mike that is fantastic! Thank you for sharing
--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pitts12/dcc3980d-03d2-477f-9f88-f41a73731e47%40googlegroups.com.

Joel L. Buseman

Mike Mayfield

Jun 20, 2015, 5:46:32 PM6/20/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Copies have been dispatched to those who have asked for them so far. Edit to your heart's content!

The only significant thing I added just after I posted this was actually a warning about making sure the propeller is clear when turning the air valve on.

The design of the system is such that with air pressure in the lines depleted (e.g. overnight storage or you haven't flown for a while), when you turn the main air bottle valve on the prop may suddenly rotate a few inches as the system pressurises and the valves re-seat properly. It's quite quick and can really take you by surprise the first couple of times if you're not ready for it! More to the point, if there's anyone poking around the plane when you do this, someone could get clocked on the head by it. You may think this unlikely, but with a plane like the Model 12 in a public place, people (both big kids and little kids) sneak in from everywhere and like poking around it right up to the point where you need to shoo them away when you're getting ready to go!

Cheers,
Mike

Darin Bishop

Jun 29, 2015, 8:43:43 AM6/29/15
to pit...@googlegroups.com
Wow Mike that is excellent work! Better than a lot of certified planes.

Darin