Model 12 rigging

Andre

Aug 5, 2018, 5:23:04 AM8/5/18
to Pitts Model 12
Hello guys,
I have a few hours on my Model 12 HP and noticed that it is slightly left wing heavy during cruise flight. If i let go of the stick it will slowly start to roll to the left. No spads installed yet.
How can i get rid of it?

Regards,
Andre

Kevin Kimball

Aug 5, 2018, 7:35:01 AM8/5/18
to 1Pitts12 List List
Andre,

The proper way to correct a left wing heaviness on a Model 12 is to move the upper wing left tip aft and upper wing right tip forward.  this will cause the I struts to pivot about the lower front bolts, left strut aft at top, right forward at top, and increase the angle of incidence on the left and decrease it on the right.   I do think there is info on this a 2wings.com FAQ but I will write it here too so you can have it right away.

First some terminology to make sure you understand which wire requires each task.
Only adjust the stagger wires and flying wires for this adjustment.  Do not change the Sway wires or landing wires.

Stagger wires on between the left and right cabane struts and for an X.  Stagger wire is the smaller one on each side and anti stagger is the larger one.
Flying wires attach to the fuselage at the firewall and to the upper wing at the I struts.

Steps:
  1. loosen 4 jam nuts on stagger wires.
  2. lengthen left stagger wire(small one) 1 turn
  3. tighten left anti stagger wire(big one) 1 turn
  4. loosen right anti stagger wire(big one) 1 turn
  5. tighten right stagger wire(small one) 1 turn
  6. See if upper ailerons are no longer aligned when stick is centered and lower ailerons are aligned to lower wings.
  7. If upper ailerons are moved, you did cause the top wing to rotate left tip aft, right forward as needed.
  8. If upper ailerons did not appear to become misaligned to top wing, change was not made.  Loosen left flying wires 1/2 turn and see if ailerons change.
  9. Adjust slave struts to align upper ailerons again.
  10. streamline all wires and lock down all jam nuts.
  11. Test fly and repeat as needed to get it to fly hands off at cruise speed.

Kevin

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL TO START A NEW TOPIC ! ! !
Otherwise Google will just add it to the above subject thread.

TO START A NEW TOPIC:
You have to make a new "virgin" email addressed to Pit...@googlegroups.com
Press CTRL-N in most email programs to do this

NOTE: You are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
Pitts12-u...@googlegroups.com

HELPFUL LINKS: http://groups.google.com/group/Pitts12?hl=en
Jim Kimball Enterprises www.PittsModel12.com
www.2wings.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pitts Model 12" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/pitts12.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pitts12/3ac7ce71-18c9-4920-8b2b-15982db17c69%40googlegroups.com.