Fwd: Register Now! 8/18 Data Jam with In Her Own Right & Louisiana Digital Library

Celia Caust-Ellenbogen

Aug 6, 2020, 3:01:06 PM8/6/20
to PhillyDigit...@googlegroups.com
[Apologies for cross-posting]

What: Data Jam
When: August 18, 2020, 2pm-5pm EDT
Who: Anyone interested in digital humanities, data, digital collections, or the history of activism.
Registration Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScap1azr1pdzs5ne_m4p-xoyNDfQmZ5XBLtuEltbVdbzDfi7g/viewform?usp=sf_link

On August 18th, celebrate the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment by promoting access to the history of activism! Join the project team of In Her Own Right, a PACSCL-sponsored project, in partnership with the Louisiana Digital Library. Together we’ll build subject guide visualizations that reveal new ways to interact with digitized historical materials related to women’s activism as well as activism in Louisiana.

Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in this virtual Zoom-based event via one of two tracks.

Track One: A hands-on workshop that will introduce you to the InfoVis toolkit, and will culminate in building your very own RGraph data visualization. Participation in this track will require you to download the InfoVis toolkit and use a text editor on your own computer.

Track Two: A dive into the metadata for In Her Own Right, Louisiana Digital Library, and (if time permits) your own institution’s digital holdings. Participation in this track will allow you to identify themes running through the corpus and to highlight collections that exemplify these themes. This track will build the basis of the data visualizations, but focuses on research and data entry and does not require any technical expertise.

Please note: Both tracks are open to all experience levels. We strive to create a welcoming environment and to build community around this work. This event adopts the Collections as Data Code of Conduct, available here. (This is also meant to be fun; let’s all just have fun.)

We’ll end our event with a demonstration of the completed data visualizations, and a “toast” (BYOB) to the women suffragists and other activists whose history we’re striving to share.

Please register in advance by clicking here. Thank you!

--
Kathryn Antonelli (she/her)
Project Manager for In Her Own Right - a PACSCL project

--
Celia Caust-Ellenbogen (she/her/hers)
Please be aware that Swarthmore College is currently closed to visitors and all but essential staff due to coronavirus precautions. I am working from home and email is the best way to reach me.