Philadelphia Future Salon Next Thursday! July 17th, 2008 6-8pm

Tim Allen

Jul 10, 2008, 9:04:10 AM7/10/08
to Philadelphi...@googlegroups.com

Futuristic Cinema: Mash-Ups and Machinima!

The next meeting of the Philadelphia Future Salon will be on July 17th, 2008, and apparently we'll have a star in our midst! One of our panelists was featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday; you can see the article on Ariella Furman here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080709_Peopling_the_virtual_world.html

The topic will be "Futuristic Cinema: Mash-Ups and Machinima!" Modern media has caused us to rethink everything from business to entertainment. Youtube has made it possible for anyone to be a star and share their dreams and visions. Fans now have the technology in their power to find out who would win in a fight between Star Wars and Star Trek. Major television franchises such as CSI: New York and The Office are blending episodes with the virtual world of Second Life. The most famous brands in the world, such as Coca-Cola, are making short films in virtual worlds and video games (called machinima) to enhance their advertising campaigns. Traditional businesses are finding new ways to use these new technologies.

We will have two panelists from the area lead the discussion, with Timothy Allen moderating.

The first panelist is Peter Decherney, a Assistant Professor of Cinema Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. His research and teaching focus on the history of media regulation and on internet policy, specifically the interaction between Hollywood and Washington. He is the author of Hollywood and the Culture Elite: How the Movies Became American (Columbia UP, 2005) and many articles on the Hollywood film industry, on the history of media regulation, and on fair use and academia, among other topics. In 2006, along with two colleagues, Decherney successfully petitioned for an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for media professors using clips for teaching. In addition to Penn, he has taught at Yale University, Johns Hopkins University, and Tsinghua University (Beijing). He is currently working on a new book on the history and future of Hollywood and copyright law. He frequently assigns mashups as coursework.

Our other panelist is Ariella Furman, the first person in her Ukrainian family to be born in America. She acquired her interest in filmmaking when she was practically in diapers. She took her skillset with her to Temple University and became a 2008 graduate with a Film Media Arts degree. Her story began with her love for music videos. Her videos for east-coast bands have premiered on outlets such as LCN-TV, Adrenaline Nation TV, MTV Italy, and more recently the channel Logo, a subsidiary of MTV. She then found her next passion, machinima, by accident, through an experimental documentary she made for class. Since then, she has worked with Electric Sheep, Popcha, SLAgency, and created machinima for Nestle, World Bank, IBM, and others.

Timothy Allen is a virtual worlds enthusiast, Philadelphia area tech fanatic, and co-moderator of the Philadelphia Future Salon.

There is no cost to attend, refreshments are provided, and free cocktails will be served after the session. We look forward to seeing you there!

Location: 1835 Market Street, 15th Floor, at the office of Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney.

Please RSVP to franci...@bipc.com - please email him directly, do not reply to the entire list - thanks.

Regards,

-Tim