[PhilThreeten] Jarhead

PhilThreeten

Apr 11, 2006, 1:44:07 PM4/11/06
to PhilThreeten...@googlegroups.com
It was about 20 years ago today that a representative of the US Naval Academy stood before me and offered me a scholarship. I’m not sure today whether it was a full scholarship, a partial scholarship, or just a token scholarship. Regardless, it was a scholarship that would have put me into some position on a naval nuclear submarine. I couldn’t even tell you what position it was that they recommended for me. Sadly, that was the state of mind I was in.

Of course, anyone who is even remotely aware of what type of person I am would cringe at the idea of me being in any way associated with the word ‘nuclear.’ Forget submarine – forget naval – forget armed forces and all that those terms connote. Just the idea that my person could be within an operable radius of anything nuclear would send most people who know me into a funk that would make Sartre look like an optimistic hippie.

I am not a jarhead. I am not a marine. I cannot imagine myself killing people nor being in any profession that is even remotely associated with said killing.

I watched the movie ‘Jarhead’ tonight. I realize that the purpose of those who made it was to paint a less than admirable picture of the Marines. In my own case, it had the opposite effect. Rather than making me recoil from the thought of these people, I must say I am grateful.

I cannot agree with the mindset. I cannot understand how a Christian can place themselves into this position. Everything I see of Jesus’ teaching suggests the opposite of what the Marines stand for. And yet…

I am grateful for these people who make it possible for me to lie on my couch and watch this movie while my children sleep in their rooms above me. I am grateful that these men and women make it possible for me to write and say whatever I want about them – whether I agree with them or not. I do not understand the psyche or turmoil that they must put themselves through so that they can endure the hardships that they must face so that I can live in my suburban life completely untouched by the hardships of the rest of the world.

I know some might say that if I were a true follower of Jesus, I would stand up against them because Jesus would not support violence. I know that some might say that no one – even if they volunteer it – should go through the conditioning and life that they undergo. I understand the argument that says that protecting our own shores does not necessitate the infringement on the shores of other nations – historically ignorant as that argument may be. I understand all this, and yet I remain grateful.

For the men and women who make my job possible. For those that make this blog possible. For those that I turned away from 20 years ago.

Thank you!!!!

Categories: Living

--
Posted by PhilThreeten to PhilThreeten at 4/11/2006 01:42:00 PM