[PhilThreeten] Book Review: How To Have That Difficult Conversation You’ve Been Avoiding With Your…

PhilThreeten

Mar 22, 2006, 11:33:07 AM3/22/06
to PhilThreeten...@googlegroups.com
Henry Cloud and John Townsend have been writing for quite some time. Most everyone knows them as the Boundaries writers and if anyone is familiar with the boundaries series, you’re familiar with the plethora of books associated with the series. Apparently, at some point in the past, there was a book called, Boundaries Face to Face.

Thankfully, Cloud and Townsend changed the title to something a bit more practical. Though I would never pick up ‘Boundaries Face to Face’ I immediately picked up ‘How to Have That Difficult Conversation You’ve Been Avoiding With Your Spouse, Adult Child, Family, Boss, Coworker, Friend, Parent, or Someone You’re Dating.’ Perhaps the new title is a little bulkier (in the vein of a 747 being bulkier than a balsam wood model plane) but it certainly cuts to the question that rattles around my head when a difficult conversation looms on the horizon.

Having a lot of opportunities to listen to people who are wondering how to have difficult conversations with others, this book will become a permanent, staple reference. It is simple, practical, and gives godly wisdom on the art of confrontation and communication. It discusses why having the conversation is better than not, what are some essentials to a good conversation, gives a multitude of examples throughout, how to prepare for the conversation, and some particular guidelines for some of the people listed in the long title.

Overall the book is great. I think a little more attention could be paid to dealing with people who refuse to stay on topic, but this is really a very minor point throughout the book. Overall, it is an excellent guideline for biblical confrontation with others and I would highly recommend it.

Categories: Living, Readings

--
Posted by PhilThreeten to PhilThreeten at 3/22/2006 11:15:00 AM