Mr D.G. Alers-Hankey and Miss C.L.Nute

Turenne

Feb 19, 2008, 4:20:11 PM2/19/08
to Peerage News
The engagement is announced between Dominic Guy, son of the late
Maj.Robin Alers-Hankey and of Mrs Christine Heath and Claire Louise d.
of Mr and Mrs Geoffrey Nute. The Alers-Hankeys are collaterals of the
barons Hankey and Wrey baronets.

Richard Lichten

bx...@yahoo.com

Feb 19, 2008, 4:33:26 PM2/19/08
to Peerage News
Richard, the only Robin Alers-Hankey I see in Burke's index is Robin
Noel Alers-Hankey, b. 1944. Do you know if this is the same Robin?

If so, it was his great-uncle who was the 1st Baron Hankey.

Thanks.

Brooke

Turenne

Feb 19, 2008, 4:56:14 PM2/19/08
to Peerage News
I don't think so Brooke. My Robin, is Robin Nigel. Killed by the IRA
on the 30th Jan 1972. His wife was born Christine Darling.

Richard

bx...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2008, 6:30:27 PM2/21/08
to Peerage News
Thanks, Richard.

Checked Burke's and I can't find either Robin or Dominic. Am I
missing something?

Brooke

Turenne

Feb 21, 2008, 6:53:48 PM2/21/08
to Peerage News

On 21 Feb, 23:30, "b...@yahoo.com" <b...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Richard.
>
> Checked Burke's and I can't find either Robin or Dominic.  Am I
> missing something?
>
> Brooke

Brooke, this from peerage.com (I know it's not the best resource)..

Major Robin Nigel Alers-Hankey was born on 23 July 1936 at Enniskerry,
Hampshire, England. He was the son of Nigel Humphrey Alers-Hankey and
Joan Douglas Medlicott. He married Christine Darling on 21 March 1964
at St. Michael's Church, Chester Square, London, England. He died on
30 January 1972 at age 35 at London, England. He was buried on 4
February 1972 at Winchester, Hampshire, England.

As his name was Robin, he's dead and his wife's name is Christine I
did what no member of this forum should do and, er,.... made an
assumption: (am deeply embarrassed)....:)

One of the problems about the above, is that this Major Robin Alers-
Hankey died (according to peerage.com) in London in 1972, and
*another* or the same, Major Robin Alers-Hankey (according to my
research) died in the same year in Northern Ireland. I'm confused!

Richard

bx...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2008, 7:43:28 PM2/21/08
to Peerage News
Thanks, Richard, for trying to get to the bottom of this. I
appreciate your efforts.

Sometimes these collateral branches can be quite confusing and I guess
this is such a case!

Brooke

Cheryl Nicol

Jul 19, 2024, 12:21:38 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to Peerage News
To Richard & Brooke

Hopefully I can clear up (or add to) this confusion, albeit from quite a while ago. The info on peerage.com agrees with the marriage, death and burial notices in The Times.

Major Robin Nigel Humphrey Alers-Hankey received a bullet wound to the stomach from a sniper's bullet in Londonderry on 2 Sept 1971. He died from that wound on 30 Jan 1972.

Not sure about the connection to the barons Hankey - I haven't looked that far - but I can say definitely that his mother Joan Douglas Medlicott was the great-great-great granddaughter of Sir Bourchier Wrey 6th Bt. (1714-1784)

Robin was the grandson of Humphrey Alers-Hankey of Capetown, and his maternal uncle Lt Col John Irvine Medlicott was married to a former wife of Nicholas Richard Michael Eliot, 9th Earl of St. Germans [1914-88].

Cheryl

S R Eglesfield

Jul 19, 2024, 6:08:04 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to Peerage News
Major Robin Alers-Hankey was, indeed, the grandson of Humphrey Bickerton ALERS-HANKEY (27 VII 1874 - 1959), of Capetown, who was himself a son of Col Jameson John ALERS-HANKEY (17 IX 1836 - 23 X 1917) and his wife (married 3 XI 1858), Minna Louisa LYONS (3 V 1841 - 2 IX 1926), a niece of Adm the 1st Baron Lyons.

Col Jameson Alers-Hankey was a brother of Robert Alers HANKEY  (11 VIII 1838 - 28 XII 1906), the father of the 1st Baron Hankey.

Major Robin Alers-Hankey's mother was a member of the Medlicott landed gentry family of Dunmurry, Co. Kildare.

Robin Benn

Jul 19, 2024, 8:25:02 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
That is very interesting.

(Much) more background, and some deft pen-portraits, on the various Alers Hankeys may be found in Simon Tosswill's excellent (and very well written) resource for all branches of the Hankey family, at:

Major Robin Alers-Hankey:

Maurice Pascal Alers Hankey (Robin's 1st cousin twice removed):

I, by the way, am named after my great-uncle, the only other Robin Alers Hankey (Robert [Robin] Maurice Alers Hankey, 2nd Baron Hankey, KCMG, KCVO, 1905-96) - for some reason my branch has no hyphen!

With best wishes,

Robin

Sir Robert Benn, Bt

4:32 AM (18 hours ago) 4:32 AM
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Sir Robert. That is an interesting resource, indeed.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Peerage News" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/peerage-news/DB9P192MB1164984C6DF02DA07758DCEEA2AD2%40DB9P192MB1164.EURP192.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.