Adding a furler sail fwd.

paw...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2021, 2:57:24 AM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
On light weather days like 10knots can't keep up with the fleet. My options are:
1. Add a 420 Profurl furler to the Inner staysail. More likely to use the staysail as its a pain to fold the hank on inner sail.

2. If that doesn't work out move the Furler fwd to 14" behind fwd stay, add a fitting to the mast and call it a Solent sail, fly my high cut #2 from there and get a big light weather Genoa fwd.

3. Get a Karver Furler & Luff Torque rope with Code zero (Cruising) sewn on.

Don't want to over capitalise, probably get Auto prop as well, budget can only go so far. What U reckon.

jhene...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2021, 8:29:08 AM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
Hello,
While I do not race formally, I am always looking for max boat speed and my solution to this light air problem was to add a bowsprit and fly a Doyle UPS (like a Code sail) from off the front of everything.  I always wanted a boat with a bowsprit and since my bow pulpit was bent sideways, I took the opportunity to replace it with a European style step through version (not yet installed in this pic).  Both of these were custom builds by a skilled local welder.

The fittings on the aft end of the sprit are where I tack down my furling staysail on a three part adjustable tack led back to the cockpit.  The staysail furls on it's own torsion cable and is only deployed when needed in heavier air or maybe when downwind sailing with double headsails poled out (haven't done that yet).

Picture worth a thousand words.

I can explain more if you want to go down this path.

Jim Henerberry
1987 P40 #123, Bowsprit_2.jpg

Ross Hoag

Nov 10, 2021, 6:16:34 PM11/10/21
to Passport Owners
I went with option 3 and added an attachment point on my anchor roller which was simple and it works great. Yes, it would be better if it was flown further forward of the furled jib but it works just fine and is easily put up and down as well as run by one person from the cockpit. It changed our light wind performance for sure. I would do the same thing again if I had to do it all over. bowattachment.jpg

The SS bracket was fabricated by the Doyle guys when I bought and installed the UPS or cruising code zero sail. All I had to do was get a longer anchor roller bolt.

IMG_20180805_153338.jpg

The boat will rip along in very little wind.

Ross
S/V Pekina Passport 41