P40 deck stepped mast wiring?

Gary Miller

Jun 9, 2022, 12:37:49 PM6/9/22
to Passport Owners
My 1982 P40 has a deck stepped mast with a stainless steel compression post. Does anyone here know where the mast wire termination points are accessible with this setup? I am having some electrical ghosts with my tri-color and anchor light and would love to get at and inspect any connections at the base as well as up top and haven't seen any obvious access areas.

Gary Miller

Jeff Beller

Jun 9, 2022, 2:42:23 PM6/9/22
to Passport Owners
Gary,

Our P40, "Journey", is same vintage (1982) and deck stepped.  I've had the mast off twice in the twenty years we have owned it.  On our vessel, the wires are continuous through the deck, down through the stainless steel compression post, where they exit in the bilge, and then go aft to a big terminal block under the main salon settee behind the bulkhead.  When we unstep the mast we just take everything loose at the terminal block with an attached tag line when the bundle is pulled out of the compression post on deck.

Jeff
SV Journey
Ventura, CA

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

jmpullara

Jun 9, 2022, 3:01:01 PM6/9/22
to Gary Miller, Passport Owners
In my 83 deck stepped/Pullman version, wiring is continuous from mast, through compression post, emerging from bottom of compression post into the bilge compartment immediately forward of the post.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2022, at 9:37 AM, Gary Miller <ga...@garynmiller.com> wrote:

Gary Miller

Jun 9, 2022, 10:12:29 PM6/9/22
to Jeff Beller, jmpu...@yahoo.com, Passport Owners
Well maybe I've just had my sights set a tad too high. I'll have a peek there when im back aboard although i recall my sump pump being in that area. Thanks gents.

Gary

Gary Miller

Jun 13, 2022, 8:40:32 AM6/13/22
to Jeff Beller, jmpu...@yahoo.com, Passport Owners
Thanks to the tips I got from Jim and jmpullara I did realize that the floor block at the compression post was removable allowing me to see the wire exit and trace them to a terminal block near my water heater under the salon seats where I've been able to identify and correct some power issues I had up the mast.

Thanks all for the quick and accurate responses.

Gary Miller
1982 Passport 40 - Best & Final