Engine Removal

jhene...@yahoo.com

Dec 4, 2021, 12:13:10 PM12/4/21
to Passport Owners
Hello Passport Brian Trust,
My conversion to electric propulsion is nearing the critical phase of removing Old Mr. Pekins.

I just completed the conversion from hydronic diesel to 48v electric heater boxes.  While it seems I may not be able to get the cabin to the same top temps as I could with the Webasto DBW 2010, it will be close, and, I can always add more heater boxes (I've installed three 48v 25 amp heater boxes so far).

I am pretty sure I remember seeing posts on other engine removals on the list, but cannot find them after several searches.

Do I remember correctly that, stripped down, the engine block can CAREFULLY be passed through either the companionway or main hatch?

And, is anyone interested in my old Mr. Perkins?  Hours are still just around 1000.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

psherwood

Dec 4, 2021, 1:48:19 PM12/4/21
to jhene...@yahoo.com, Passport Owners
Yes, Mr. Perkins will fit through the main hatch once all appendages
have been removed. It's close; the process needs to be managed
carefully. Here are some pix to illustrate, one showing a very tired old
Mr. Perkins on the way out, and two showing Mr. Perkins on the way in
after having visited the Fountain of Youth.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> <http://passportyachts.org>
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> ---
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/PassportOwners/3de93fd3-30a1-4307-a624-d8ac01c46177n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/PassportOwners/3de93fd3-30a1-4307-a624-d8ac01c46177n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
2008 Engine R and R Panama 025_800x600.jpg
2008 Engine R and R Panama 045_800x600.jpg
2008 Engine R and R Panama 047_800x600.jpg

rcy...@optonline.net

Dec 4, 2021, 6:04:33 PM12/4/21
to p...@witanco.com, jhene...@yahoo.com, Passport Owners
This a great group and there are multiple solutions to getting an old engine out and a new one in.

In my case, a 1987 P40 V-Berth with the U-shaped main cabin settee, the entire intact engine was taken out and placed on a wooden ramp built over the galley counter and slid up the companionway.

The new engine and transmission went in the same way. The cabin sole and teak in the area was properly covered to protect from dings. Surgical precision. No dings. The intact old engine and transmission were sold.

This process may sound nearly impossible, but please see photos of the ramp, old engine and new engine.

This reminds me, I still have brand new, Perkins 4-108, factory parts (gaskets, pumps, injectors, etc.) in sealed packages in anyone has interest. I made that offer once before and heard crickets but never got around to the Good Old Boat or EBay.

Email me if you want a spreadsheet of what I have please.

Regards to All,

Bob
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/PassportOwners/7ac52d65-1d28-ab71-8b04-76adf97c0464%40witanco.com.
New on the Way In.jpg
Custom Ramp.jpg
Old Perkins.jpg