Questions

William Ennis

Sep 14, 2022, 10:52:48 PM9/14/22
to Passport Owners
Hello,

We have a 1984 Passport 40. The strut for the prop and the rudder shoe (the metal base for the rudder), are both metal and I have a difficult time keeping paint on either. Another cruiser with a Valiant said to drill and tap to mount an anode on the rudder shoe. It sounded extreme so I haven’t done it.

Does anyone have a way to keep paint on those parts? The bottom paint that I use seems to make no difference, and the best that I can find here is Carboline from Australia: copper-based bottom paint.

I’ve considered using a metal brush to remove the surface material, then prime and paint, but I’m unsure. What is consensus?

Second…Our Passport saws around in wind. She swings from side to side constantly, unlike other boats. I believe that it must be the bow overhand catching the wind, but I’ve seen other boats with similar bows saw around much less.

Does anyone use a riding sail or have some other cure? It’s mostly a concern when we’re on a mooring since it twists the mooring line.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Bill

“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” -Bob Marley

Dan Brinkman

Sep 16, 2022, 2:22:46 PM9/16/22
to William Ennis, Passport Owners
Bill, we added a teardrop zinc to our bronze rudder shoe, tapping two screw holes in the bronze so our diver can change the zinc.  The prop strut has small “clam shell” zincs sandwiching the bronze strut.  Seems to work ok.

We’ve been able to tame the swinging at anchor - by hooking the anchor chain ahead of the bridle and running the hooked line to the midship cleat.  Adjust the line tension to hold the bow off center to the wind so bow doesn’t swing.

Dan Brinkman
1985 P-40 ‘Good Move’, Long Beach

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply: